Storage area

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello. Was wondering what people have added for a storage/cargo. What I'm looking to do is add something that will hold the wing support rods, window covers, fishing rod and a few hand tools.   Maybe a section of PVC pipe would work.   Any thoughts or photos.   Regards Joe

Posted

Joey had a cargo bag made that's awesome. I plan on getting one soon. Here is the company info . Just say you want a Avid cargo bag that goes behind the seat.

Nate Fisher
Fisher's Upholstery
661 E. Beacon Light Rd.
Eagle, ID 83616
(208) 939-6513 11am-7pm MST

Posted (edited)

Hello. Was wondering what people have added for a storage/cargo. What I'm looking to do is add something that will hold the wing support rods, window covers, fishing rod and a few hand tools.   Maybe a section of PVC pipe would work.   Any thoughts or photos.   Regards Joe

If you are thinking about putting some things in a tube - PVC is heavy - better off with aluminum made to fit or something like furnace or dryer pipe - make sure you have a way to open the lower or back end when you drop something small into it.   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the reply.  The cargo bag won't work, I have the parachute mounted just above the battery.   I think Jim C has the side door on one of his planes but I can't find that info.    I thinking 36 inches long is what a will need. Regards Joe

Posted

My mkIV has a compartment built into the fuselage with a door . You could always do something like that . 

Posted

The MK IV had the built in baggage compartment under the turtle deck area.  Not that hard to do if one was rebuilding the plane and the fabric was removed.  That would make it so much easier to weld tabs in where they need to be, and build what you want.  I think the wing braces would be to long to fit in my baggage compartment.  The back opining in the second picture is for my battery access.  JImChuk

Photo0606.jpg

Photo0609.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

My friend built a cub with a storage compartment a lot like the Avid but he modified it for long items. Mine has the standard side door with the standard compartment. I have a extended bottom I plan to install this winter. What my friend did was he came out off the back of the box with a tube fashioned out of thin aluminum. He made it big enough and long enough for a shotgun and his fishing poles. The problem I see with building this off of the standard Mark IV cargo box is accessibility to get long items in. One could remedy this by making an accessable opening in the turtle deck just above the storage compartment. There is a guy on the web named George Race. This guy has a lot of cool access panels and will make you anything you want. All CNC and beautiful workmanship. I used three of his products on my Zenith 701. They get a lot of attention from other builders. If you look through George’s web site you will see one I designed for accessing the rear spar area on the Zenith for fuel connections on dual tank setups. 

Vance

Posted

Thanks for the replies    I just remembered I have a section of 4 inch ducting tin   I should cut it to the length needed and try some test fitting and go from that.   Regards Joe

Posted

So the test fitting is good,  it should be something like this when finished.  I had this section of 5 in ducting rat holed away, when I started it was at 5ft and I ended up with about 50 inches long and 3.4 lb. I'm going to do some searches to see if I can get something a bit less in weight with the end caps on.  Regards Joe

image.jpeg