Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid project on barnstormers

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Just saw this on barnstormers.  Serial # says it's a C model.  Does have the MK IV cowl and motor mount though.  JImChuk

AVID FLYER MARK IV • $7,499 • FOR SALE Avid Flyer Mark IV. Great Winter Project. This Avid has been garage kept it's entire life and needs to be finished. Kit number 857. This is an excellent project. Engine is a Rotax 582 Gray. We have all required gauges to complete the panel. The aircraft is in Livonia, MI 734-564-3878. Would trade for Early Bronco 1966-1977. $7499 Rotax 582 Exhaust + upgraded motor mount Air Dale Fuel Tanks New Covering Wood Prop New • Contact Steven Mcfall - EXPERIENCE RC, Owner - located Livonia, MI USA • Telephone: 734-564-3878 . • Posted October 9, 2017 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1507065721thumb.jpg?modified=1507065721thumb.jpg?modified=1507065721thumb.jpg?modified=1507065721thumb.jpg?modified=1507065721

Posted

Kinda funny I offered him $8K right before I bought my Kitfox. There is 2 guys involved with that project and I think at least one of them is having a hard time letting go. The current owners have done very little on the project but the workmanship so far looked real good. Mike

Posted

Mike,  your comment reminded me of the Gambler song.  "Got to know when to hold um, know when to fold um."  JImChuk

Posted

Hi JimChuk

how can you tell its a c model, I was checking on that one and could only find kit no. 857.when I spoke with the owners I never asked for a serial no. I have never found the info on all avid numbers, ( searial or kit). I would like to get a Mk Vl stretched pulled by the BMW 

Posted

He says it's kit # 857.  I believe that is the serial #.  That is how Avid numbered their kits, one after the other.  I couldn't pull up the pictures to look for myself, but a couple of things you might be able to see in the pictures is how the doors latch, and if the tubing above and behind the seat is made to have a small shock absorber mounted there that acts as a door hold open.  The Mk IV changed both of those items from earlier models.  Earlier models had the door latch in the front bottom corner, MK IV was latched completely differently about 1/3 back on the door.  Also there is baggage compartment and a bunch of different bracing plates added around the rear wing carry throughs on the MK IV that aren't there on earlier models.  Here are some pics of my MK IV showing some of these things.  In the first picture, see the round tube welded to the bottom of the door frame about 1/3 back. That is for the door latch.  Next picture shows the attachment point for the door hold open as well as some of the bracing around the rear wing carry through.  On that fuselage, I had extended the width of it, that is what the extra outside tube is that goes around the door opening.  Last picture shows door latch in place, and the door hold open mounted where it goes.   JImChuk

Photo1002.jpg

Photo1003.jpg

Photo0894.jpg

Posted

Thx JlmChuk 

So thanks for the info that makes it easy, did you mention a sling seat that felt better on your back ? 

And will a sling allow a taller person to fit better ? I’m just under 6ft 190#  my son is 160# same height,but only 13 years old  Dr

predict 6ft3 so I’m hopefull of having a Mk Vl HH extended with the bmw bike conversion 

thx rjg 

Posted

With the fiberglass seat, you are pretty well stuck with one position.  With the sling seat, you can tighten or loosen it somewhat to move it around.  As far as headroom goes though, if you lower it to far, it will be rubbing on the control tubes.  Avid used to have an option of a bubble top windshield that gave more headroom.  I think one could make a domed top using plexiglass, I used to have a site saved in my favorites that would custom make skylights for a reasonable price.  Those would be some options to get more headroom.  Here is a pic of my Avid that had the bubble tops.  JImChuk

Avid 8.jpg