My mk4

110 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good idea John.  Just to add a side note, and you can measure different height people from seat to top of head like I did - You may find a large difference, but a long time ago I found only about 1" difference from seat to top of head between my then 5'8" height and my step-son's 6'8", and the same for my flying buddy who is 6'0".  Guess in some people the height difference is mostly in the legs?  We were all very slim built.  Please post what you find. EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You've got that right Ed! My son-in-law and I are about the same height and his head almost hits the frame and mine doesn't, but my knees are up under my chin :huh:.

Posted (edited)

You've got that right Ed! My son-in-law and I are about the same height and his head almost hits the frame and mine doesn't, but my knees are up under my chin :huh:.

I didn't want to use the term, "Fat-ass" to say why some are longer from seat to cap - I was waiting for Doug or someone to say something!  Guess I may have had a little more padding there than the taller guys?  Ha!  The one reason I was measuring was because my design book suggested making small scaled paper models of different height people to make sure they fit in the cockpit while drawing plans.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Finished the panel today, 6.8lbs. I was surprised how heavy.

Posted

Pretty much done.

WIN_20171021_184601.MP4

Looks nice. Can you put higher pressure or turn up the springs in the shocks? Looks way light to me, perhaps you just have it that way for testing while building? Wouldn't want it bottoming out.

Posted

Pretty much done.

WIN_20171021_184601.MP4

Looks nice. Can you put higher pressure or turn up the springs in the shocks? Looks way light to me, perhaps you just have it that way for testing while building? Wouldn't want it bottoming out.

fully adjustable I need a filler. 

2 people like this

Posted

Pretty much done.

WIN_20171021_184601.MP4

do they use the same pump that the regular snogo air shocks use?  If so I think I may have an extra one laying around.

Posted

Pretty much done.

WIN_20171021_184601.MP4

do they use the same pump that the regular snogo air shocks use?  If so I think I may have an extra one laying around.

What do they use, is it nitrogen? The shocks come from the factory 60/40 compression and rebound and 250 psi.

Posted

Should just be air from a Schrader valve . 

Posted

Should just be air from a Schrader valve . 

if they have 250 PSI in the them I am gonna say they are using nitrogen.  The sled shocks use air at 55-120 pounds.  I run mine at 60 PSI on the sled.

:BC:

Posted

When I pulled of the 582 it weighed 102 engine mount muffler starter ready to run no box or prop the c box weighed 17.5 

Posted

very cool, that makes me ready to start over ha

Posted

I think the Yamaha will double that weight:huh:

Posted

Excited to get started on the exhaust is no back pressure best on gas engines so thinking 1.5 in. a

And engine mount thickness ?  

Posted

One guy who changed his 582 to a Jabiru said everything included in the 582 installation weighed 135 lbs.  Jabiru with mount and oil came in at 136 I believe.  The Jabiru does sit a little further forward than the 582 though.  They are both lighter than the Yamaha though.  I would thing a stretched Avid would be much better than a standard length fuselage with that extra weight.  JImChuk

Posted

Excited to get started on the exhaust is no back pressure best on gas engines so thinking 1.5 in. a

And engine mount thickness ?  

Need back pressure here is what I did. also need areas that will have still air to quiet them down a bit.

100_1105.JPG

Posted

Just a update

WIN_20171203_125111.JPG

WIN_20171203_125111.JPG

WIN_20171203_125052.JPG

WIN_20171203_125042.JPG

WIN_20171203_125031.JPG

WIN_20171203_125017.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

Very nice!

Posted (edited)

Rock Crawler, Nice work may as well go a bit further and stretch it.

Edited by TJay

Posted

Where would you make the cuts lots of angles

Posted (edited)

Where would you make the cuts lots of angles

There are some posts about the Fuselage Stretch posted.  I don't know how much info is there.  I think it really makes a difference if you are going with any engine heavier than a 582.   There was also an added tube underneath that takes the curve out of the back part and strengthens it.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I looked at mine for hours before I had it covered and I thought a bought half way between the turtle deck and the tailwheel would be the least amount of tubing I really think it would only take about a day to complete it. At this point I wish I would have done it but maybe on the next one. Need to head down to ED's house and buy another project or two Ha