Subaru oil temp sender location

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wondering where soob owners have their oil temp sender mounted? I have mine mounted on the rear of the engine at the oil pump housing but the gauge is reading 275-300 degrees when the actual oil temp itself is 196 degrees. 

Thanks everyone 

Posted (edited)

Just wondering where soob owners have their oil temp sender mounted? I have mine mounted on the rear of the engine at the oil pump housing but the gauge is reading 275-300 degrees when the actual oil temp itself is 196 degrees. 

Thanks everyone 

Mine is located in the middle of the drain plug at the rear of the oil pan.  Reads "0" because engine is not running.  I have a homemade "Pilots Operating Handbook" (Flight manual with Checklists), for an Avid Model C N547RX with a Stratus EA81 that owner, Rex Blunck, either posted or sent to me, which gives lots of info on that plane and engine, but he only gives "max oil temp" as 260.  Possibly I could copy for you or give you his address/phone in Indiana.  

Added:  To check your sender / gauge, put the sender in boiling water and see if you get 212F.  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey EDMO, I just figured it out that I never got around to installing the proper sensor I had purchased for this gauge. Just went through past emails and I ordered two sensors, one for water and the other oil but the oil sensor was wrong size so I never got around to it. Just ordered the correct and will try it out. 

I know the POH you're talking about. I've printed it off and keep a copy in the plane. I love it. 

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10238

Posted (edited)

Hey EDMO, I just figured it out that I never got around to installing the proper sensor I had purchased for this gauge. Just went through past emails and I ordered two sensors, one for water and the other oil but the oil sensor was wrong size so I never got around to it. Just ordered the correct and will try it out. 

I know the POH you're talking about. I've printed it off and keep a copy in the plane. I love it. 

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10238

The prior owner or builder of my engine just drilled and tapped the center of the oil drain plug for the sender - KISS method - Whatever works!  ;<)  EdMO

Edited by EDMO