Where can I get this thermostat?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

hey everyone 

between the two Subaru EA81 aircraft engines I have, the one I decided on using didn't have a thermostat housing so I'm robbing the one off the other but would eventually like to replace it with the same one. Does anyone know where I can get this? It's 1" in and out and 3/4" bypass. 

IMG_3427.JPG

Posted

Is this an automotive part?

I've never seen anything like it before in the aircraft world. 

Posted

The blue thermostat housing looks like the one Stratus supplied with the EA-81s they were selling. I replaced that one with a remote thermostat for a BMW or Audi that I picked up at an auto parts store.  I had to do a bid of adapting to hook up the bypass line but the other two fittings were of the right size. 1" i think. Try searching for a remote thermostat housing for the cooling system and I think you'll find what I did. The part no. is at another location so it will be at least a week before I'll have it. If you can wait I'll try to get it and post it here.

Jackak

Posted

Is this an automotive part?

I've never seen anything like it before in the aircraft world. 

I have no clue but my guess is yes. I believe between the two engines I have the one this came from was built by stratus so I may try contacting them I just can't locate any contact numbers or emails. 

Posted

I don't think any of the Subaru converters exist anymore. 

Posted

I don't know about the dual carb Stratus engines, but I think the stock manifold on the single carb Soobs had the thermostat in it - Try contacting Suberavid since he has been using a Stratus engine for a long time.  The lastest company, Stratus2000 is out of business.  Maybe RAM or the builder in Colorado would know?  EDMO

Posted

Ok thanks guys, I was afraid to hear about the outta business thing. 

The single carb engine in my plane has a custom aluminum intake for the increased air and fuel of the Weber carb so I don't have the thermostat. But I've figured out how to plumb this one in I just was hoping to eventually replace it. I dislike having incomplete engines around. 

Posted

hey everyone 

between the two Subaru EA81 aircraft engines I have, the one I decided on using didn't have a thermostat housing so I'm robbing the one off the other but would eventually like to replace it with the same one. Does anyone know where I can get this? It's 1" in and out and 3/4" bypass. 

IMG_3427.JPG

Try www.ipsco.org  you might find something suitable there. 

Posted

I got a replacement  for that thermostat from auto zone. Their part no. is 13578 . It's manufactured by Slant, at Connersville, IN.  Phone no. 765-825-3121. Hope this helps.

Jack

Posted (edited)

Just use the one Jackak posted; it is for a mid 80's BMW 2002 so you can get it at most any parts store.

DSCN0544-1.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid