Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Approximate Inlet/scoop size for an internal 582 radiator?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi.  I'm moving my Catalina's prominent radiator inside.     Does anyone have a faired/cowled 582 radiator setup that they're happy with?  What's your approximate inlet area?   I'm having a hoot reading NASA CR3405 and other resources, but I'd like to also see what has worked for other similar planes.  I assume most of our planes would have similar climb speed, cooling needs, and radiator area, so I'm guessing other people's experience would be directly applicable.  

I have lots of room to play with, so I can make the inlet/outlet almost any size I need, but a starting point would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Jim

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi.  I'm moving my Catalina's prominent radiator inside.     Does anyone have a faired/cowled 582 radiator setup that they're happy with?  What's your approximate inlet area?   I'm having a hoot reading NASA CR3405 and other resources, but I'd like to also see what has worked for other similar planes.  I assume most of our planes would have similar climb speed, cooling needs, and radiator area, so I'm guessing other people's experience would be directly applicable.  

I have lots of room to play with, so I can make the inlet/outlet almost any size I need, but a starting point would be helpful. 

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,  This is just from reading in the past, and my memory is not doing well:  I believe they said the inlet area should be about 1/5 the size of the outlet area, but there has to be an area between inlet and rad for the air to expand and slow down - I don't know what that distance should be.  Post up some findings - Might help someone.  Cheers,  EDMO

Posted

I have a somewhat post about my journey replacing my cowl to the radial style. I refused to have a belly radiator and made mine work inside.

Thanks!

Jim

Posted

Hey Jim, another cat owner took a different approach installing the radiator onto the rear fuselage.....unfortunately it seems it was destroyed in an accident

Screenshot_20160808-082610.png

Posted

I don't think I would want my radiator right there putting really dirty air over / around the elevator and rudder.  Seems like just asking for issues that close to both of them.

:BC:

Posted

You do have a point there......