Help with Fuel lines, filter, gascolator please

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ok.  Redoing all the fuel lines, vent lines, filters. 

The prev owner was running fram G2 clear plastic filters on the run from the wing tank to the header tank.  At first look I liked that idea to keep an eye on any junk and keep the rest of the system downline clear.

But at second thought I wondered if I were to get a big enough slug of water in the wing tanks, would that possibly quickly clog up those filters and cause a problem?  If so wouldn't it be better to let any water go into the header and sit in the bottom?  (where there is a large area for water collection below the pickup line)

Is there a general consensus on using filters in the line between the wing and header tank?

Question 2:  is a gascolator required?  I would like to bypass it and use clear filters instead.  It just seems redundant since the header tank drain point is the low point in the system, and I'll have filters in other locations.  I aslo do not like the drain point in the engine compartment.  I've had em seep in other planes and never liked the idea of fuel dripping that near the muffler!

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted (edited)

I like the cleanable clear glass filters like Akflyer posted.   Paper filters are just  trouble waiting to happen!  Talk to your DAR or FSDO inspector about whether a gascolator is required on an Experimental plane - I don't think so - I believe a drain at the lowest point is required. 

If I was going to add a gascolator, again in the lowest spot in the fuel lines, it would be in the rear of the baggage compartment reachable thru a side door and below the header tank with a drain tube that goes thru the bottom of the fuselage.  My dual fuel pumps go back there in the same area since I need more weight aft of the CG. 

I really liked the old glass bottoms on the gascolators, so you could easily see if there was water or other stuff in the fuel - I don't know if the FAA changed the rule and made them illegal or if the plane and gascolator makers decided it was cheaper to use metal bottoms on them.  I think I have an old one somewhere.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I had to land in a neighbor's field because of fuel filters between the header tank and wing tank.  I won't use them there anymore.  No doubt, you have screens in your fuel outlets on the tanks.  That will take care of the big stuff.  The header tank should take care of the rest, but in my case, I run a filter after the header tank just in case.   I see no point in having a second gascolator, with the header tank acting as one.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

I had to land in a neighbor's field because of fuel filters between the header tank and wing tank.  I won't use them there anymore.  No doubt, you have screens in your fuel outlets on the tanks.  That will take care of the big stuff.  The header tank should take care of the rest, but in my case, I run a filter after the header tank just in case.   I see no point in having a second gascolator, with the header tank acting as one.  JImChuk

Thanks Jim.  That is where I was going, straight lines to header, remove firewall gascolator, fine filter just before carbs with the fuel pressure guage tapped in between fine filter and carbs (showing any flow problems through filter on the panel readout).

Anyone disagree with this plan?

Little out of my area of expertise on this one.

Thanks! 

Posted (edited)

Maybe we are missing something on this - I know that some header tanks have the outlet a little ways up from the bottom - but the two Kitfox aluminum round header tanks I just posted upside-down photos of have the outlet on the very bottom - so how can these trap water in the bottom without it going thru the lines to the engine?  I would think with these you would also need a gascolator.  I haven't looked at my Kitfox plastic tank to see if it has a drain fitting on the bottom and a side fitting for engine/pump line - hope it does.  Guess every setup is different?  I thought the slim Avid tanks had the outlet on the bottom too?  Just putting this on here to make you AWARE.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks Ed.  Yes my plastic header tank outlet is about 2 inches up from the bottom.  I Assume that there is NOT a bottom feeding pickup hose and weight in there.

1 person likes this

Posted

Avid's fuel outlet was about 3" up from the bottom as well.  JImChuk

Photo1017.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Here is an AD that is still in effect that recommends the filter above the header tank.

ad fuel filter.jpg

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks guys!

I also found this summer's post with lots of good info on this topic.

Posted

Here is an AD that is still in effect that recommends the filter above the header tank.

ad fuel filter.jpg

I forgot that we had talked about this a few months back and you posted this paperwork then.  However, in the discussions with Steve Winder in 2008, his opinion was just the opposite in regard to filters in the lines before the header tank.  Tried again to find those messages, but couldn't.  I think some of the earliest archives are lost.  To each his own on where you want to put the filters, I know what I'm doing.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I had the same conversation with Steve W. and he stated that since mine was a previously flying plane with over 300 hrs on it that any shit in the tanks would be washed out by then and to NOT put the filters in the line from the tanks to the header.  I only have one filter now just past the header outlet right before the fuel flow meter.  No issues in 600 hrs.  I used to have and additional gascolator on the firewall as you see in most "aircraft" but I pulled that out after a couple hundred hours of never getting anything from it.

:BC:

3 people like this