Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need some verification

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm still chasing down some trim issues and want to verify with someone that I have my F7A bellcranks installed properly. I've flown it this way 48 hours so I hope so but just trying to eliminate any variables.

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

Posted

I'm still chasing down some trim issues and want to verify with someone that I have my F7A bellcranks installed properly. I've flown it this way 48 hours so I hope so but just trying to eliminate any variables.

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

Joey,

The F7A's look like they are installed correctly. Were you working on the mixer at this point? I noticed that the large area washers normally installed outboard of the Heim joints seem to be missing. Avid's mix of castellated and self-locking nuts is curious too. Anywhere there is movement at a bolt I'd use castellated nuts, too easy for the fiber in the self-lockers to wear out and I don't think you adjust the links that frequently. My 2 cents.

Jack

Posted

X2 on what jack said. Amy bolt subject to rotation should have a cotter key in it. My A&P was ADAMANT about this.

What type of trim issues are you having? I have found, that when I try to trim it out with the flaperons (more nose up trim) I scrub off about 5 MPH and the roll control is alot heavier. I play with the flaps to get the roll control feeling the lightest, then up trim on the elevator to maintain altitude. At my present CG, I am using full up trim to hold altitude at 5500 RPM and about 70 MPH on the ground (85 indicated). When I load heavy in the baggage area I can go to pretty much neutral on the elevator trim.

:BC:

Posted

X2 on what jack said. Amy bolt subject to rotation should have a cotter key in it. My A&P was ADAMANT about this.

What type of trim issues are you having? I have found, that when I try to trim it out with the flaperons (more nose up trim) I scrub off about 5 MPH and the roll control is alot heavier. I play with the flaps to get the roll control feeling the lightest, then up trim on the elevator to maintain altitude. At my present CG, I am using full up trim to hold altitude at 5500 RPM and about 70 MPH on the ground (85 indicated). When I load heavy in the baggage area I can go to pretty much neutral on the elevator trim.

Leni I have my flaperons set up so that mine flies hands off with the flaps full up and about 57-5800 rpm. I can only trim nose down. If I'm flying down low I pull on some flap to relieve the roll forces and just hold back pressure. The issue I'm having is when I pull on a couple of degrees I get a fairly strong rolling moment to the right and I can't figure out why. It also takes WAY more rudder to coordinate a turn to the right. It almost takes top pedal to keep the ball centered when I turn to the left. I knew it would be different but it seemed a little excessive to me.

There's only two nylocks on the mixer box. The one where the flaperon linkage connects to the mixer box should be a castle not sure now I missed that. The one where the rod ends are I left a nylock because up until recently I was playing with my flaperon settings a lot and got tired of pulling a pin in and out. There's very little movement there unless your pulling flaps on and off all the time which I don't.

The only reason I can see why I'm getting a roll is one flap is coming on more than the other. I need to get out my control surface throw and try different flap settings and see exactly what they are doing and why. Looking at the linkage everything appears to be working perfectly symmetrical.

Jack can you circle on one of those pictures where I should have the big washers? I set it back up the exact way it was when I got the airplane but that does not mean it's right by any means. Also no I wasn't still working on it I took these pics right before I flew yesterday. I've put 48 hours on it like this but if it's wrong I'd like to fix it. The builders manual sucks for stuff like this and I'm still learning.

Posted

Leni I have my flaperons set up so that mine flies hands off with the flaps full up and about 57-5800 rpm. I can only trim nose down. If I'm flying down low I pull on some flap to relieve the roll forces and just hold back pressure. The issue I'm having is when I pull on a couple of degrees I get a fairly strong rolling moment to the right and I can't figure out why. It also takes WAY more rudder to coordinate a turn to the right. It almost takes top pedal to keep the ball centered when I turn to the left. I knew it would be different but it seemed a little excessive to me.

There's only two nylocks on the mixer box. The one where the flaperon linkage connects to the mixer box should be a castle not sure now I missed that. The one where the rod ends are I left a nylock because up until recently I was playing with my flaperon settings a lot and got tired of pulling a pin in and out. There's very little movement there unless your pulling flaps on and off all the time which I don't.

The only reason I can see why I'm getting a roll is one flap is coming on more than the other. I need to get out my control surface throw and try different flap settings and see exactly what they are doing and why. Looking at the linkage everything appears to be working perfectly symmetrical.

Jack can you circle on one of those pictures where I should have the big washers? I set it back up the exact way it was when I got the airplane but that does not mean it's right by any means. Also no I wasn't still working on it I took these pics right before I flew yesterday. I've put 48 hours on it like this but if it's wrong I'd like to fix it. The builders manual sucks for stuff like this and I'm still learning.

have you disconnected the flaperons just inside the fuse at the top of the control rod and checked that each flaperon takes the same force to move up and down? if one is a little sticky, I can see it not moving as much as the other and giving you a bit of an asymetrical roll input when you pull the flaps on. Mine had a sticky flaperon and when I pulled the flaps on, the control stick would go full left if I was not hanging onto it. :dunno: if this is playing into your rolling issues or not.

Posted

My stick does move a little bit.. I was wondering what was causing that. What works to lube the flaperon hinges?

Posted

My stick does move a little bit.. I was wondering what was causing that. What works to lube the flaperon hinges?

Joey,

There should be a large area washer outboard of the three rod ends that are not inside a bracket. The two on the upper end of the flap links and the upper end of the one that attaches to the mixer and the aileron bellcrank. They're placed there to keep the rod end from coming off if the bearing fails. It's hard to see this in the construction manual, they all look like large area washers. Looking at that same manual it looks like there are several places on the mixer where self locking nuts are used, but I'd go for safety, not convienence. Another picky thing if I might, I'd bend the ends of the cotter keys tight against the nuts. I don't know how many times I cut myself when I didn't and went back in to work in an area with as many castillated nuts as the mixer has. Former engine and prop mech on C-123s, C-54s and T-29s.

Jack