Securing these wires?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey everyone 

just went to start the plane and was dead with no spark. Noticed that the cable depicted on the left had bent at the terminal breaking underneath the shrink tube. So I replaced both with the plastic crimp fittings and soldered the other ends hoping the plastic would add support to the wire at its joint, better than shrink tube.

Now how can I go about securing these terminals to this resistor? 

IMG_3488.JPG

Posted

Maybe drill a hole and wire tie?

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe drill a hole and wire tie?

simple enough. That's what I'll do. Thank you 

Posted

Aircraft wire is a bit more expensive but much more robust.  Using marine heat shrink connectors gives you the glue in there to help hold the wire as well and makes it much less prone to breakage,  Aircraft crimps help too as they are a double crimp and have the second crimp around the insulation.  A set of real crimpers with proper dies will keep you from over crimping and breaking the wires.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

Aircraft wire is a bit more expensive but much more robust.  Using marine heat shrink connectors gives you the glue in there to help hold the wire as well and makes it much less prone to breakage,  Aircraft crimps help too as they are a double crimp and have the second crimp around the insulation.  A set of real crimpers with proper dies will keep you from over crimping and breaking the wires.

:BC:

is that the heat shrink Aircraffspruce has with the glue inside? 

Posted

I am not certain.  I get mine from a local supplier.