Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

repairs and mods to the Avid

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Started off as a quick project.  Bring the plane in the hangar and put the vg's on, swap tires to the 850s for better cruise and mount the external tanks.. note to self.  The project you had on the back burner for putting a longer hose on the "jiggler" to siphon the gas out of the wing tanks should have been done FIRST!  As I was pulling the gas out of the wings prior to folding them, the damn hose flipped out and spewed gas all over the windshield and passenger door.  Instant destruction of said surfaces.. shit sticks. 

So, long story short, the Avid has new lexan, installed a 12V pump and 3 way valve under the front edge of the seat and got the external tanks mounted for the up coming long flight (thanks for letting me borrow yours suberavid till mine get here) new VG's, back to the old 850s and used wing trailing edge material and gorilla tape to add some quick fairings to the jury and tail struts... then the weather window closed as my 1/2 day project turned into 3 days (normal for me).  At any rate, I got to take it for a lil spin and got smiles out of baby girl twice!  One for the flight and another for a newer snogo for her to ride this winter!  Got a killer deal on a hopped up 120 that she can't wait to wreck :lmao: 

I was pretty happy, I had 39 gallons on board, my fat ass, my daughter and a bit of weight in the baggage compartment and was still able to get off in around 350' and climb out at a solid 750 FPM.  The fairings really do help with climb and even with the external tanks I can now cruise at the same speed at 5600 RPM as I was at 6000 RPM.  This gives me damn near a gallon an hour less fuel burn.

The way the plumbing is now I can hit the switch and select which external tank I draw off of to refill the main tanks in flight through the header tank.  Works slick!  Now I just have to remember to not drink anything for a few hours before I start the 250 mile flight :lol:  I can promise you that trying to fly and pee into a bottle in the avid will not end well and your radar track will likely have the feds waiting on you when you do land.  It is always a pleasure to be able to shake a feds hand when its still wet :lmao:

:BC:

20171009_180017.jpg

20171010_153110.jpg

20171011_174906.jpg

20171014_124322.jpg

20171014_124328.jpg

20171014_124333.jpg

20171014_173745.jpg

20171014_181437.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Good to see someone else reporting on their projects and such.  Have fun Leni!  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Leni,

this might be an optic illusion but on the 6th photo your elevator eyebolt end connected to the torque tube on the cockpit floor seems to be bent...

Be safe and keep them flying, cheers, Laurent

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks like that to me to.  I think you need a stop on the joystick or somewhere to keep it from going to far forward and wrapping the heim joint around the cross tube.  I posted something about this just a week or so ago, with pictures of what I did.  JImChuk

Posted

I remembered to get the pictures of my MK IV elevator stop today after I came back from an evening flight.  Not exactly what Avid recommended  (where is that info Doug?)  but it works fine and was easy to do.  Last picture is with the stick all the way forward, and the elevator control rod doesn't touch the cross tube. JImChuk

Photo1357.jpg

Photo1358.jpg

Photo1362.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

It has been like that since I got it.  I thought about trying to straighten it but not worth the risk of breaking it.  I will put a stop on it.  I think trailering it is where it got bent.

Posted

Hey Leni,

I feel you're right about not wanting to bend it back (I had the same issue) but it being a primary flight control I definitely would change the bent thread at the end of the control tube. I am pretty sure it's cracked already somewhere in the threads if you look at it with a microscope..... :(

There were a few crashes and fatalities  because of this bent threaded rod and when I had my Avid inspected, transport canada made me instal stops for the flight controls. The UK air investigation branch has a write up about this too

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=73fe5aec-72d4-4801-a9a6-f3beaac71395

Be safe & have fun

Posted (edited)

I mag checked it when I was rebuilding it as well as dye penetrant tested it.  No cracks.  Next time I have it in the hangar I might just replace it.  Anyone have a part number or tube diameter handy?  I can get one ordered up from AC spruce.  Pretty sure its a 1/2" tube but cant remember off the top of my head.

and a 1/4-28 thread right?  I can order the insert from spruce, I have it pulled up on the screen now.

Edited by akflyer

Posted

I have the plane just ouside the door of the house, cause I just washed it.  Easy to run out and measure like that.  The elevator tube is 1/2" OD.  Trouble is getting it out of the plane.  It's one long tube all the way back to the elevator.  The Kitfox used a shorter steel tube, and then a long aluminum tube.  I think Avid just had a thick slug welded into the end of the tube, and the threaded rod was welded into that slug.  Maybe one could cut the last 1/4" off the tube, make a plug that would slide into the 1/2" tube with a threaded rod coming out of the plug.  Weld the top of the plug to the 1/2" rod plus a few rosette welds and I don't think it could go anywhere.  All the while being careful not to start the plane on fire.  JImChuk

Posted

I thought it was 1/2"  I just ordered a new end.  Easy enough to use a dremel and cut off wheel to take the old one out.  Tig the new one in, no sparks.  Should be a 2 hr job.  I think that means I will be screwing around with it for 3 days if my normal guestimations hold true hahahaha

Posted (edited)

Yeah a little bit of a pita to do that... but I'm sure no one here brought it up because we're worried about you making a reasonable calculated risk and flying around with it. 

It's because of your co-pilot.

:BC:

Edited by MN Kitfox 2
1 person likes this