What was i smoking?

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Well should I rip it all  off or try it.

WIN_20171019_193153.JPG

WIN_20171019_193138.JPG

WIN_20171019_193117.JPG

WIN_20171019_193053.JPG

WIN_20171019_193029.JPG

WIN_20171019_193029.JPG

WIN_20171019_193017.JPG

WIN_20171019_193001.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Well...  ya took the vertical load off the seat truss!

Wonder if it'd handle fore and aft though? 

SuperStol inspired? 

Posted

Where did you get that big shock absorber?  I was thinking about something somewhat similar a while back.  Not quite as extreme though.  Sure will have lots of travel.  You must have seen the Just aircraft video.  Would like to see how it works.   JImChuk

Posted

Looking at the idea, which is a good one, I have these thoughts:

1. Is the gear leg wide enough to handle the fore-aft loading (as MN said)?

2. At full deflection of the shock, how much ground clearance will you have at the belly and or prop?

3. Is the relatively small tubing at the top shock mount, even with the gussetting, strong enough for the loading you plan to impose on it?

1 person likes this

Posted

I really think it looks sweet!  But I think if it were mine I'd probably chicken out a little and take about 10" total stance (4 to 6" per side) out.  

It is hard to get a good feel for it just looking at the pics, but it seems like narrowing it would reduce leverage and twist potential in all directions....  making it more stout.

Posted

Looks like a dirt bike shock hooked up to me . If it is damn dis you add some weight to that plane . Might end up bending something really easy.

Posted

Looks like a dirt bike shock hooked up to me . If it is damn dis you add some weight to that plane . Might end up bending something really easy.

Each shock weighs 7.8 pounds. 16in off travel. They are made for off road $254,

Looking at the idea, which is a good one, I have these thoughts:

1. Is the gear leg wide enough to handle the fore-aft loading (as MN said)?

2. At full deflection of the shock, how much ground clearance will you have at the belly and or prop?

3. Is the relatively small tubing at the top shock mount, even with the gussetting, strong enough for the loading you plan to impose on it?

I added a tube also that goes from port to starboard to help with the crushing affect.

Where did you get that big shock absorber?  I was thinking about something somewhat similar a while back.  Not quite as extreme though.  Sure will have lots of travel.  You must have seen the Just aircraft video.  Would like to see how it works.   JImChuk

My wife got the shock from uncle Jeff "Amazon"

Well...  ya took the vertical load off the seat truss!

Wonder if it'd handle fore and aft though? 

SuperStol inspired? 

I wonder this as well, but think of the groove gear it is only held in buy a 5in clamp.

1 person likes this

Posted

Jared, You obviously have some skills and intelligence, I can see that by what you've done.  I would suggest you make up a mock up of the fuselage that can be pulled like a trailer, maybe behind a ATV or something.  Put increasing weights on it and pull it on rougher and rougher ground to see what it will take.  Better to bend up something besides the fuselage, maybe prop, who knows what else if it isn't strong enough.  On the other hand, if it is strong enough and you don't bend it up, you can put it on  the plane with confidence that it will work out.  Also, please video the testing.  You don't have to show it if it doesn't work, but would be great to see if it does.  Would be a great selling feature if this turns out to be the way to go.  Keep at it!  :-)  JImChuk

Posted

I was actually poking around with something like this that would be a bolt on module to the bottom mounts on the fuselage. 

More like trailing arm snowmobile suspension, with the shock only going as high a the lower longeron.  Making it something that could be retrofitted to an existing airplane. 

Posted (edited)

I want(ed) to do something like that on my Magnum. What I can see looks awesome to me! 

The thing I can't see is if you have added a truss across the bottom of the instrument panel to handle the compressive loads that will be there.  

You are constructing the dream for my Magnum rebuild. What do you plan on doing for the tail wheel?

Chris

Oh.....and obviously you were smoking the good shit....

Edited by Chris Bolkan
1 person likes this

Posted

Jared, You obviously have some skills and intelligence, I can see that by what you've done.  I would suggest you make up a mock up of the fuselage that can be pulled like a trailer, maybe behind a ATV or something.  Put increasing weights on it and pull it on rougher and rougher ground to see what it will take.  Better to bend up something besides the fuselage, maybe prop, who knows what else if it isn't strong enough.  On the other hand, if it is strong enough and you don't bend it up, you can put it on  the plane with confidence that it will work out.  Also, please video the testing.  You don't have to show it if it doesn't work, but would be great to see if it does.  Would be a great selling feature if this turns out to be the way to go.  Keep at it!  :-)  JImChuk

I will do some drop test in the shop, on to car dollies so the wheels can spred as if going down the runway.The stock door post location looks like it was designed for this with all the triangles.What is the compression load of half inch steel tube?

I want(ed) to do something like that on my Magnum. What I can see looks awesome to me! 

The thing I can't see is if you have added a truss across the bottom of the instrument panel to handle the compressive loads that will be there.  

You are constructing the dream for my Magnum rebuild. What do you plan on doing for the tail wheel?

Chris

Oh.....and obviously you were smoking the good shit....

The tail wheel shock will be much easer but I have to wait for weight and balance, if I go with Yamaha it will get a shock. The hole assembly bolts up to the stock landing gear location. Need to rebuild everything but will do some test first need to shave weight.

Posted

How's this going ?

Did something similar to an ultralight after watching the super stol at Oshkosh .works well

20171109_142238.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

How's this going ?

Did something similar to an ultralight after watching the super stol at Oshkosh .works well

20171109_142238.jpg

That looks real clean, I just spent the last week rebuilding mine.

Posted

Well keep  us posted on the progress.looks like you have the skills to get it figured out .Nice shocks by the way

Posted

Dynomike, what did you use for shock absorbers?  Where are you located,  looks like my area, northern Mn.  Where it is -7F right now..... JImChuk

Posted

I also played around with that idea on my model 1 but didn't care for the shock having to lean that far forward and with out moving the gear forward.  That lead me to the idea that the shock would bind like crazy and thats how you twist things up. If you can get it figured out please share with all of us. Really nice work so far.

Posted (edited)

Nice to see I'm not the only one thinking about what could be done about the Avid landing gear - I guess everyone how have done a hard landing think about it...

There are several solutions on the market that we could get inspiration from.

The Just Aircraft Super STOL give a real "badass" look but also requires major modifications. From a putting the forces in the right place this is probably the best solution (Layman's opinion...)

KitFox have a STi Shock Monster landing gear that I find exactly right (would be easy to adapt as well) with double dampers that efficiently reduce the size of the package (but not the price...) See Trent Palmer's video below from 4 minutes (it should start at the right time) where he explain this modification, and other, to his KitFox. And do see all his videos, they are great. This kit is less expensive that the kit Beringer below, but still why more that we would dare to tell our wife...

KitFox_shock_monster_landing_gear.thumb.

An alternative is the French Beringer solution (that is just as expensive as it looks) here mounted on a Savage that is pretty close to our planes.

Beringer_landing_gear.thumb.jpg.d68a1683

Another idea comes from the (French) manufacturer  of the "Petit Avion", similar to ours with folding wings. It is a tricycle so you need to imagine the gear "the other way around". It would requires more modifications as what we have on the sides they have in the middle but for anyone doing rebuild this concept could be an option.

Petit_avion_gear.thumb.JPG.c77ae5e840f09

Here is Trent's video, watch from 4 minutes:

Edited by FredStork

Posted

I saw a similar (the same?) system to the one shown on the Savage mounted on a Highlander at OSH this year.  I'd like to see the "trailing arms" longer than what's shown.

Posted

Dynomike, what did you use for shock absorbers?  Where are you located,  looks like my area, northern Mn.  Where it is -7F right now..... JImChuk

Gabriel air shocks .for a 70s Chevy I believe .dampening is to slow though

Posted

Steve Henry is running the Berringer set up on his latest Highlander and seems to like it.I️ am running the Shockmonster set up on my Avid. We had to mod the latest version of the Avid Bushgear to make the struts fit right. I still need to spend a day a do a tuning session with him as I don’t think I’m getting near what they are capable doing out of them. 

8B7D96E3-4C3F-42E0-8450-671140F9E7BF.jpeg

FE3FE53D-4769-4365-AA78-076444BE2CDC.jpeg

0E37C958-98FC-44EE-93D7-4ED56B0E0309.jpeg

AD8D8CE8-8A72-460B-AD4B-625658E9B8C9.jpeg

Posted

Steve Henry is running the Berringer set up on his latest Highlander and seems to like it.I️ am running the Shockmonster set up on my Avid. We had to mod the latest version of the Avid Bushgear to make the struts fit right. I still need to spend a day a do a tuning session with him as I don’t think I’m getting near what they are capable doing out of them. 

8B7D96E3-4C3F-42E0-8450-671140F9E7BF.jpeg

FE3FE53D-4769-4365-AA78-076444BE2CDC.jpeg

0E37C958-98FC-44EE-93D7-4ED56B0E0309.jpeg

AD8D8CE8-8A72-460B-AD4B-625658E9B8C9.jpeg

Looks real clean. What tires are those? How tall is your prop hub off the ground? How much travel can the wheel move?

Posted

C5engineer.. You have what I want... Do I understand you right, you have a Avid bush gear that you modified to fit the double shockmonster dampers... Right? What is the lengt required to install those dampers? Did you get the shockmonster dampers from Kitfox? If so... how much...?

Posted (edited)

“Looks real clean. What tires are those? How tall is your prop hub off the ground? How much travel can the wheel move?”

27” Dessers on the Kitfox 8” wheels. Im 5’10 and the prop hub is over my head. I can stand under the wing. The wheel has 5” of travel with full compression and rebound adjustments. 

Fred I got my shocks directly from Tony at Shockmonster. Kitfox has a massive mark up on them. The only thing we modded was where the legs plugged into the Gear down by the axles to accept the adjustable heim joint. It was 95% bolt on. 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Tony does an excellent job with the ShockMonsters. Picked me up some for mine and I’ll never go back to conventional gear or if i do get a Kitfox in the future that doesn’t have these on.....they’ll be the first thing i replace. Tony was great to work with and help out with indexing the axles and mounting plates for the disc brake upgrade i did at the same time. Two thumbs up ! Just call me no bounce from now on.