Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tail wheel weight?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

How much on the average is the tail wheel holding up at gross weight? When doing weight and balance?

Posted (edited)

How much on the average is the tail wheel holding up at gross weight? When doing weight and balance?

Depends on CG and Gross Weight - 5% to 10% ???  Empty weight without wings folded probably 50 to 70 Lbs.?  Wings folded, or Gross Weight = A Lot More!    For a Taildragger, You have to level the plane by sitting the tail on a support and put scale on top of support to get accurate W/B for plane.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

On the average Avid, the empty weight on the tailwheel when you are doing your CG calculations is probably between 45 and 60 lbs.  If my memory is correct, my MK IV came in at 53 lbs.  Distance for tailwheel back behind the leading edge of wing (datum) is 145.75" if I remember right.  Full empty weight was 602 lbs.  Fuel moment is 15", passengers is 16".  Main wheels were 3/4" in front of the datum.  Gross weight for the plane is 1150.  I think that would be enough info to figure what the tailwheel weight would be at various weights.  Brain doesn't want to focus that hard right now to give an example.  :-)  No drinks involved, just tired.  ;-)  JImChuk

Thought a bit about it, and woke up a bit so I played with some numbers.  Still don't have the tailwheel weight at a higher given weight, but here are some more #.  If my memory is correct, my main gear weight is 549 lb.  Moment is -- 412  (3/4" in front of datum) tailwheel weight is 53 lb.  moment is 7725  (145 3/4" behind datum)  total moment is 7725 -  412 = 7313.   Empty weight is 602, giving an empty weight CG of 12.14"   If you add 150 lbs of fuel, moment is 15 x 150 = 2250.  398 lbs of people, moment is 398 x 16" = 6368  Total weight is then 1150 lb, total moment is 15931 which gives a CG of 13.85"  Now, who is the math wizard that can tell the tail wheel weight at the 1150 lb total weight.  I know it's easy to calculate if you know the right formula and such.  Right now it escapes me. 

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

Unless I am confused - not drinking either - aren't we talking about a 1700 GW Magnum - Might be some difference Jim?   Too many numbers for my Chemo- dulled brain to figure out tonight!  ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Unless I'm confused, I think Jared picked up an Avid MK IV a week or two ago. JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Unless I'm confused, I think Jared picked up an Avid MK IV a week or two ago. JImChuk

You're usually right Jim - I'm floating between Hospital La-La Land and on here - Thought we were talking about Barry's Magnum Still - Sorry,  EdMO

Posted

Off of memory mine is around 53 pounds empty as well then I add divers weights as needed to keep my CG around 18" Depending on whats in the baggage area could be none on the tw to 8 or 12 pounds strapped to it.

Posted

Thanks guys I was curious for tail wheel shock rate. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys I was curious for tail wheel shock rate. 

With full load and rear CG, the shock rate, depending on how slow or how hard you set it down, will be several times the empty weight - Lots of tailsprings have been broken, especially with only one spring, and tails have been bent too.   Large pneumatic tires really help a lot.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just weight mine again today and is 67lbs. It also has a 10lb lead weight in the tail, the auxiliary tank (15lbs full) moved to directly under the baggage compartment. Which added 3 lbs to the tail weight so yours will probably be like JimChuks at 53ish lbs