670 thread

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys, what's the thread where the guy was doing the Rotax Rick 670 install on his plane? Thanks Bryce

Posted

Search member rdooley79. He has 54 posts in total, nothing recent. Don't know if he is who you are looking for. Ian

Posted

I'm installing a Rotax Rick 670 at this very moment, but I'm not sure I'm the guy you're looking for. 

Posted

Cowlove,

i think it's your thread I'm looking for.  What's the thread? Thanks

Posted

I'm not sure I had a thread dedicated to my 670.   I mentioned it on a tangent in a few other threads.   But if there was a thread, here is what it would say:

1) I ran the original 582 grey head in my Catalina for 250 hours, but it was tired and had a 20 year shelf life. 

2) I got a timed-out blue head and had Rick build it up into a 670. 

3) I put it in the Catalina this summer, kept the same 70" 3 blade warp drive with 3.00:1 C gearbox, took it out for taxi tests, and had a huge smile on my face until a RAVE valve came loose and hit a piston.  

4) Rick was very supportive and redid the engine. 

5) The Catalina is in my garage now.  Maybe taxi tests in week or three.  I'm taking the time to also do an internal radiator, a custom all-lexan molded canopy, and full lotus sponsons.  80MPH or bust!  

2 people like this

Posted

My friend has a rotax rick 670 (I think). It was VERY powerful but if I remember correctly was kind of peaky and sucked fuel. He ended up switching to my second 582 when I sold my MKIV because I think he just decided he was more comfortable with that. He might be willing to let it go for a real decent price. I have not talked to him about it, but it has been collecting dust for a long time in his shop and I don't see him putting it to use. If anyone might be interested in it I can ask if he wants to part with it.

Sorry for stealing the thread......

Posted

I've heard that same story about 670s and 618s so many times.  I don't know anyone, around my area, who is still running one after trying.

When they run, they run STRONG.  Unfortunately, reliability is the plague of these engines in aircraft.  That's the reality.

Posted

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help! The guy that did the 670 install on his MKIV was 959. He posted abunch of pics but they expired. I emailed him, hope to hear back. Chris, thanks for the heads up on the engine. I think that's the 618. Have your Buddy call me either way (615)294-0214. Thanks, Bryce