Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2 Stroke Oil

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Im not there yet but getting closer to mounting my 582 on the Skyraider.Was wondering what you guys run for oil, mine is oil injected if that makes a difference.I sell outboard motors and was wondering if you can run Nissan outboard oil.It is 50 percent mineral base and 50 percent synthetic made for direct fuel injection.I was told that you shouldnt run outboard oil but thought I would ask the hard core 2 strokers.Thanks Randy

Posted

I have never run the nissan oil, but we run the Citgo Sea n Ski oil in our snowmachines and planes. It is Yamalube with a different wrapper on it. We have been running it for years and 100s of thousands of miles in various snow machines. Never has an oil related issue with any of the sleds or planes so far.

:BC:

Posted

I have never run the nissan oil, but we run the Citgo Sea n Ski oil in our snowmachines and planes. It is Yamalube with a different wrapper on it. We have been running it for years and 100s of thousands of miles in various snow machines. Never has an oil related issue with any of the sleds or planes so far.

:BC:

Thanks Leni,It is my understanding that Nissan oil and Yamalube are the same thing so I will give it a whirl.Randy

Posted

I went to a symposium at the EAA founder's wing this past weekend and LEAF (One of the three Rotax approved shops in the US) was presenting (among others). One of the topics Brian from LEAF spoke about was oils.

They used to recommend the Pennsoil 2-stroke oil, but since that is no longer manufactured, they are now recommending Aeroshell Sport +2 oil for the 2-strokes.

Just another option....

post-36-12686116722373_thumb.jpg

Posted

Old owner of my M-III was using Amsoil black gold, damn expensive compared to S'nS or even the new Aeroshell. I'll be switching oils and was curious if y'all just topped off with the new stuff or drained the reservoir and lines when changing products like recommended in the attached article?

OilDoesMakeADifference.pdf

Posted (edited)

Just a heads up for anyone using Citgo Superguard Sea and Snow 2-cycle oil...

I checked around for this stuff locally and came up short in the retail outlets. Seems my local bulk distributor can get but doesn't stock due to low demand (ie., "el boicot" in Chavezuelan). Long story short, they passed me directly to their N.E. Superior Lubicants Co. Sr. Territory Mgr. He said, yes, they got a trailer full and would let it go cheap and would even send it to my local distributor for free pickup. Great, so far so good!

HOWEVER, after reiterating I specifically needed a LOW ash API TC, he says he thought the formulation may have changed recently and had better verify which formulation he had and what differences existed between the new and old formulas. Well, a formulation change does indeed appear to have occurred late last year, as the Citgo Superguard Sea and Snow 2-cycle oil MSDS was revised in 11/09. If you search, the newest Product Information Sheet listing the oil properties online is dated 01/09 and the current Product information Sheet he faxed me today is dated 01/10. I'll attach copies.

It is still API-TC rated but there are several changes. The ones that stuck out at me were that the new formulation is NO ASH and also is no longer JASCO FC certified. Looks like the old Sea and Snow formula is closer to the SUPERGARD Air Cooled 2-Cycle Engine Oil now than it is to the new Sea and Snow??? I do seem to recall reading somewhere that the Citgo SnS and Air-Cooled Oil were actually the same formulation??? Of course, the Air-Cooled Oil may have had a formula change at the same time too, I didn't ask him that yet.

Anyhow, I got a lot more than I bargained for with that phone call. Now I need an BITOG oilhead to explain whether the new no ash doesn't matter because the API TC rating remains, or if the ash still needed?? Which is better for aviation use? I tried to compare the new (supposedly) latest and greatest API TC rated AeroShell OilSport Plus 2 but can find no mention of whether it is low or no ash.

:dunno: damn 2-strokes

SUPERGARD Sea & Snow 2-Cycle Engine Oil.jan09.pdf

post-53-12813998012301_thumb.jpg

SUPERGARD Air Cooled 2-Cycle Engine Oil.jan09.pdf

Edited by dholly