Fuel sight tube pics anyone?

20 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey everyone,

my plan failed with the low fuel indicator so am just going to do it the right way and install fuel sight tubes or another method for fuel level.

can anyone show me pics of their fuel sight tubes to give me ideas. Or pics of other methods used? 

Thanks in advance everyone.

Posted

Anyone think I can drill the holes in each tank and fibreglass in two NPT female fittings?

Posted

Bear Perkins sells a sight tube kit that's easy to install. No threaded fittings. It works well in realatively thin fiberglass tanks. 

0B7F57CE-78BE-4455-A984-7CB6A052CCE9.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

On the inside of the root rib, which is the fiberglass tank, I removed the covering enough to see the actual fuel in the tank. Can't get clearer than that. If the fiberglass has been sanded for adhesion purposes like mine was, sand it smooth as possible and put some epoxy over it.  Best of luck, Bryce

Posted

Bear Perkins sells a sight tube kit that's easy to install. No threaded fittings. It works well in realatively thin fiberglass tanks. 

0B7F57CE-78BE-4455-A984-7CB6A052CCE9.jpeg

I had tried purchasing a couple of his kits in the spring but he said he no longer carried them. I'll try again tomorrow with those kits and hopefully he has them. 

Thanks 

Posted (edited)

Take a look at the leading edge catalog, page 19.  Look at part # H7286 for the fitting, and H7285 for the grommet.  Can probably find the hose at the local hardware store.  On the left side of the page, click on the lowest item, fuel pumps, tanks, and supplies.  That will take you to page 19.  JImChuk

http://onlinecatalog.leadingedgeairfoils.com/app.php?RelId=6.4.3.11

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

I added a led strip to see mine better . Couldn't get myself to drill in the tank for such a small set up . 

Posted (edited)

If you just route your vent line at a careful angle across the tank (from the vent inlet down to the fuel hose outlet) it will serve as a sight guage on one wing as well.  You'll just need to "swag" estimate the fuel level depending on wing angle when the wing is not perfectly level.  

Either way, you'll know you are getting low if the fuel level in the vent line approaches the fuel hose outlet and could make some calibration marks for the last few gallons at a preset wing angle (like cruise flight and another set of marks when sitting on tailwheel).

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

Take a look at the leading edge catalog, page 19.  Look at part # H7286 for the fitting, and H7285 for the grommet.  Can probably find the hose at the local hardware store.  On the left side of the page, click on the lowest item, fuel pumps, tanks, and supplies.  That will take you to page 19.  JImChuk

thank you Jim, I will for sure place that order today. I haven't hear back from Bear Perkins yet. But either way  im going to get the parts on their way while I work on just a visibility method with the end of the tank.

i cut away the excess fabric overlapping the butt of the tank and will work on lightly sanding with high grit to clean them up helping with visibility  

Posted

I added a led strip to see mine better . Couldn't get myself to drill in the tank for such a small set up . 

I removed some fabric to expose the end of the tank. And I can lightly see it but not as well as I'd like. I may have some little leds laying around to try 

Posted

I used a super bright white for mine . It's not the greatest solution but it helps enough to where I can see my fuel slosh around. All I know is when I can't see the fuel from my seat I'm at 3 gallons left. I posted pictures somewhere on here but hell if I know where they are . 

Posted

I used the ones from perkins.  If I was to do it again I would have just stuck with the sanded window on the tanks and used a flashlight to see fuel level on the not so bright days.

20171014_173748.jpg

Posted

I used the ones from perkins.  If I was to do it again I would have just stuck with the sanded window on the tanks and used a flashlight to see fuel level on the not so bright days.

20171014_173748.jpg

I just ordered th elbows and grommets from leading edge but I do want to try the sight window first. 

Only problem is the previous owners fabric covered most of the ends leaving very small window that was painted over. Here's a pic after removing fabric but before cleaning off the painted square. Now my issue is trying to clean off the glue the fabric left behind.

IMG_3668.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Laquer Thinner,Acetone, or Mek on a rag will help remove the fabric adhesive. 

Leni, that's a great picture of your Crew Chief! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow that sucks . My tank was not covered at the end of it social it makes seeing a little better. I have a strip on top without fabric and epoxy over it but I believe it could be bigger . For now the leds are making it a little easier to see . 

Posted

some 120 or 200 grit on a sander will polish up a window for you to see the gas just fine.  Take 5 min and smooth it out then wipe some epoxy over it and it will be plenty clear enough to see the fuel level in the tank.

Posted

I bought two 1/8 NPT brass barbed nipples, and cut a few of the barbs off to shorten them, drilled a 3/8" hole in the top and bottom of the tank, and used permatex fuel tank epoxy to butter the threads and then screwed the nipples in. When set, I added the 1/4" tubing and some clamps, and had a nice gas gauge.  And yes, I chewed through the fabric with my teeth, or at least it looks that way!IMG_1581.thumb.JPG.44e87425d0e745d0219bd

1 person likes this

Posted

Where the second support tube is equals around 3 gallons in my tank. If it's ever that low it's time for fuel . I do have mine all marked on the fiberglass in increments of 3 gallons . 

Posted

some 120 or 200 grit on a sander will polish up a window for you to see the gas just fine.  Take 5 min and smooth it out then wipe some epoxy over it and it will be plenty clear enough to see the fuel level in the tank.

just doing that as we speak and it is much clearer. The fibreglass layers are pretty rough and overlapping. Sanded them flat with 220, which got most of the fabric glue out also and now just wiping on a thin layer of epoxy

IMG_3673.JPG

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I vote for the way you are headed...fuel windows sure are simple, and as long as you don’t sand too deep,Yikes, they don’t leak!

the first time you fill the tanks on the plane mark 5 gallon (I just marked 5 & 10) increments in the three point and with the tail raised to level flight...there is a difference, depending on tire and gear size.  I marked both and I’m glad I did.

somebody mentioned LEDs to light the window...great idea!  I lit them with a single led I bought at a computer parts place...it works great...

Ron

P.S.  Sorry, the only pic I had with a view of the fuel sight had these two dogs in it :wacko:

67410A41-A2A6-46D4-AF35-C6906741219E.jpeg

Edited by RDavidson
1 person likes this