Installing wing root trim covers

10 posts in this topic

Posted

i need to install these. Any hints to putting them on? It look like you can’t drill to high on the leading edge due to the fiberglass tank overlay and the inner doubler inside the spar. 

2ACF497D-77F6-4C65-B153-956E2AC26DC1.jpeg

2BF099AA-E9CC-4724-A481-D8A0C639604B.jpeg

Posted

172C6957-5710-4910-B7D4-5A7B1C2E8A0E.jpeg

Posted

I riveted mine on to the spar and used 5200 on it with a few clamps to hold it till it dried.  They have been in place since 09.

:BC:

If you have not already done it.  On the inside of the root rib, put some lexan over your fuel sight window with a hand full of screws around the edge.  There is A LOT of draft coming through if you dont.  I am thinking of putting some felt strips on the root rib to seal that gap.. of my infamous clear gorilla tape on the bottom side of the gap :lol:

:BC:

Posted

I don't have any 5200 so I guess I will just fit them and rivet them on for now. During the last test flight I could hear something buzzing/vibrating on the plane. It sounded like it was coming from the left side up top by the wing. We taped the area where both pins go with duct tape and it didn't change anything. If it does it again I might try taping the gap between the wing root and the inner rib.

1 person likes this

Posted

RTV will probly work fine for awhile too!

Posted

I just riveted mine on with 3 pop rivits.  Worked for me.  JImChuk

Posted

The previous owner of my plane put foam weather stripping on that root rib and only on the starboard side of the plane. 

Posted

On the buzzing you're hearing on top of your wing, have someone stand to the rear of the  plane during a run-up and watch the little wing shaped  the fillers between the fuselage and the wing, on the turtle back cover. On my avid when it is being run-up the one on the left side actually lifts up. I suppose if it were happening fast enough, the fluttering, you could get a buzzing sound.

Jack

Posted

Thank good advice. Thanks Jack

Posted

Update: I found the buzzing. It was the lexan between the wing and the cabin top. One strip of white gorilla tape cured the problem. 

1 person likes this