Simple ADS-B Out solution

6 posts in this topic

Posted

For those of us needing in and out of airspace after 2020 there are several experimental ads-b out solutions.  I went with the iLevil Beacon this month and just finished the install.  It is a self contained unit that looks like a com antenna that you mount on the belly.  It came with a 9 foot wiring harness, one end connecting to the Beacon with a cannon plug, and the other has a 9 pin plug and two wires for 12 volt power and a ground.  The 9 pin plug connects to an LCD that you panel mount (1 3/4" diameter hole) and you use the LCD to setup and monitor the Beacon.  The Beacon contains it's own GPS system but does require a gps antenna.  iLevil sells a Rami gps antenna, but it is pricey.

The Beacon can "sniff" your squawk code out, without wiring to the transponder.  The sniffed squawk will be displayed on the LCD screen so you can verify it.

It is 2020 compliant and if you haven't looked at iLevil technology, you are missing out!  Check out their "Bom" that will be released in December!  Super cool!

Anyway, easy install...

Ron

IMG_2808.PNG

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2805.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Great set up Ron! What's it run?

Posted (edited)

Joey,

It is about $1500-$1800 depending on the gps antenna and premade wiring harness options.  That is kind of a standard cost across the board.

There is another company making one that hooks up to the wingtip and uses the power and ground wires already there for the light...pretty cool too...

Edited by RDavidson

Posted (edited)

I'm very interested in the navigation light ADSB model. 

http://sarasotaavionics.com/whats-new-in-avionics/uavionix-skybeacon

They say that it will soon be offered with nav, position (white tail light) and strobe, all LED.  Also with a matching light for the opposite side. Once this becomes available, I may just do it.   Looks to me like the cat's pajamas. 

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

I was scoping out the wingtip model as well. I've gotta get my bird flying before I get too crazy though. Sitting here in the desert deployed on #16 sure isn't helping out with the progress. On the flip side it does give me time to read and research stuff.

Posted

Joey, you spend more time in the sand than David Hasselhoff!  Stay safe and I hope the time passes quickly...

I saw your pics on FB and that place looks the same and I haven’t been there in over ten years!

Take care,

Ron