Ivo props

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I’m looking for an IVO prop for my Mark IV and wonder what size and length you guys recommended or are running on yours?  2 and 3 blade. I found a couple but not sure what I need for this application. 

Posted

Or a Warp

Posted (edited)

I found that a 2 blade 70" warp drive taper tip out performed a 3 blade 68" IVO by 20%  at least.   Cruise and climb.  This was with a 582 with 2.58 B gear box.  IVO was smoother, but......YMMV.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

On my Catalina w/ 582, i've run a Warp Drive 70" w/ 3.00:1 vs a IVO 2 blade ultralight 72" at 2.62:1 and the IVO 3 blade 72" at 3.00:1 (against their recommendations, I only used this last configuration for a few quick test flights).    The two IVO setups were in-flight adjustable, and even given that advantage, I never matched the static thrust, takeoff and climb performance of the fixed pitch Warp Drive.    

The 2 blade IVO may have had a very slight cruise advantage, but it was difficult to tell.   It was definitely smoother and sounded better. 

Posted (edited)

Vance I tried really hard to convince myself that my 3 bladed Ivo worked better than my 2 bladed WARP because I spent so much damn money on it but after 100 hrs on the Ivo I'm not convinced. Like the others my Ivo runs much smoother. The other big difference I noticed is the Warp holds RPM much better in rough air. With the Ivo the rpm seems to hunt all over the place when you are in turbulence.I suspect it is because of the heavier blades on the warp have more inertia.  When I pull my motor this winter I'm putting my Warp back on to see how it feels. My warp is a 70" tapered tip and I'm running a 2.62:1 box.

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

In enrough air, I'd bet the ivo is flexing and warping the blades, causing the pitch to change.