Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Blown tire

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I was flying Young Eagles this morning and after my first landing with a kid my tire went flat almost immediately after touch down. I kept it on the runway but just barely. It was pretty sporty. The 8 year old kid that was with me didn't know the difference. I had to get towed off the runway it was pretty embarrassing. At least we walked away. I've already replaced the tube and going flying in the morning. Glad I was not off airport when that happened.

Posted

I was flying Young Eagles this morning and after my first landing with a kid my tire went flat almost immediately after touch down. I kept it on the runway but just barely. It was pretty sporty. The 8 year old kid that was with me didn't know the difference. I had to get towed off the runway it was pretty embarrassing. At least we walked away. I've already replaced the tube and going flying in the morning. Glad I was not off airport when that happened.

Joey:

Yikes!How much butt pucker, or did you even have time?Are your tubes and tires original, or do you know or can even tell?I know for a fact mine are which makes them around 20 years old, and show no cracks or other ill effects. Did you per chance hit something on the runnway causing a puncture or did the tube separate/split? glad to here all is ok?

Mike

Posted

Joey:

Yikes!How much butt pucker, or did you even have time?Are your tubes and tires original, or do you know or can even tell?I know for a fact mine are which makes them around 20 years old, and show no cracks or other ill effects. Did you per chance hit something on the runnway causing a puncture or did the tube separate/split? glad to here all is ok?

Mike

I didn't have much time to think about much except full opposite rudder and brake. I ended up about 3 feet in the dirt off the side of the runway. I shut off the mags before leaving the pavement and shut off the fuel shortly after that. I replaced my tires and tubes about 2 years ago during the rebuild and 3 weeks ago I replaced that exact tube because I showed up one day and it was flat. I took it back to the same tire shop and they replaced it for free. They told me it had a puncture but the valve stem was totally gone out of the hole in the wheel. I'm pretty sure it sheared the stem because it went flat instantly. No puncture would have done that without a big hole in the tire. They also replaced it all for free and would not let me see the tube afterwards....hmmm Guess that's what you get for having Les Schwab tires work on your crap...hahaha. I was back together about 4 hours after the incident. I logged a 1.8 today and 3 landings with no issues all on pavement.

Posted

Joey,

It sounds like these must be with your old tires still?

If it sheared the stem it usually is from the tire slipping on the rim. Running low tire pressure and landing on pavement could be the cause. You may want to keep an eye on this if you don't have the option of landing in gravel or grass. If you start to see your stem coming out at an angle you know your tire is begining to slip and you will have to break the bead and slide the tube back in place. Running higher tire pressure will stop the movement but doesn't make your tires rollover the rocks and rough stuff as nice off airport. You could always carry a pump with you and when you go out to play off airport, land and let the air down to where you want it and then pump them back up when you head back to pavement.

I started carry a patch kit and a bicycle tire pump just in case of a flat for emergency, but that wouldn't help a sheared stem. That could be a tough one in the middle of nowhere. shitfan.gif

Randy

Posted

I spun the tire on the rim once but for me it cost me a prop as well as the humiliation. I have heard of old bush pilots putting short screws through the rim into the bead to keep them from spinning. I've put my pressure up to 12 psi to keep it from happening again, but much prefer the softer landings. I plan to experiment with the screws next time I have the tires off.

Dave

Posted

166N Dave - I saw lots of tires in AK with screws in them. That's why Lowes moved to Anchorage.

Check out my "Bears, Tires, and Pepper spray" chuckle I am posting.

Ed in MO

Posted

I spun the tire on the rim once but for me it cost me a prop as well as the humiliation. I have heard of old bush pilots putting short screws through the rim into the bead to keep them from spinning. I've put my pressure up to 12 psi to keep it from happening again, but much prefer the softer landings. I plan to experiment with the screws next time I have the tires off.

Dave

Ive sheared valve stems on my 800/6 avid and found inflating to 10 lb min and 3 machine screws each side of rim fixed it.

if you do get a bit flat , especially after heavy landing, rather than pump up id inspect/ replace.

loosen youre bungees a bit rather than deflate the tyre.

nic

Posted

Hey C5,

I thought you had the Kitfox 8" wheels. I run mine tubeless. Bead is so hard to set on those ATV rims the tire is not likely to pop back off.

Mark

Posted

Hey C5,

I thought you had the Kitfox 8" wheels. I run mine tubeless. Bead is so hard to set on those ATV rims the tire is not likely to pop back off.

Mark

This was prior to Joey's conversion to the KF set... 2010.

Posted

I had trouble with my stems cutting on the King Fox tires. I switched to Aero Classic tires.

Posted

Anyone paint the stripe on their wheels and tires to indicate slippage? Thought this was standard procedure.

ED in MO

Posted

You can tell when the tube is slipping when the valve stem is no longer straight out from the rim. If it is at an angle it will cut it.

Posted (edited)

You can tell when the tube is slipping when the valve stem is no longer straight out from the rim. If it is at an angle it will cut it.

I agree with that - However dont think tube will slip much without tire slippage, but guess it can happen - thats why the FAA tells us to paint a stripe on the wheel and tire to indicate slippage before the tube gets cut.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri