36 posts in this topic

Posted

I am looking for LED landing lights for Avid MK4 or where to get them.  John

Posted

Crazedpilot.com

Posted

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Those LED lights are not bright enough for landing lights - Just bright enough for taxi lights - I have a set.   There are lots brighter lights available.  Ask Leni about the square spotlights he uses.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Do you have a pix. can they be mounted to the landing gear. 

Posted (edited)

I don't have a picture - I think he has his on the gear or struts? - They are a square housing with a round lens - Send a PM to Akflyer - I think he has posted pictures on the site before.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I don't have a picture - I think he has his on the gear or struts? - They are a square housing with a round lens - Send a PM to Akflyer - I think he has posted pictures on the site before.  EDMO

Found the old posts - Vision X lights.  HID?  Ed

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I also have the VisionX lights.  They are very bright LED lights.  High quality stuff, but IMO still not bright enough to be landing lights.  They make excellent recognition lights, with the Crazed Pilot wig-wag controller. 

Link

Posted

Thanks for your help

Posted

Larry,  I thought the VisionX was the HID that Leni or ChrisB and I was talking about - Maybe that was another brand?  Been so long I have forgotten, but think the HID was the brightest for the amount of power draw?  My mind is cluttered with lots of other things, so I could be mistaken.   EDMO

Posted

It's possible there is an HID version, but the ones Leni and I have are LED. 

To expand, my installation is hampered by the placement of the light fixture being more aft on the wing chord than optimum, decreasing the beam efficiency.   If I were able to surface mount the lights, they may work better as a landing light.  

My lights:  Link

Posted (edited)

I've seen these in action on a snowmo.   Pretty darn impressive!

At this price it would be worth giving them a shot.  If you don't use them on your plane I'd bet you'll find another use for them.

How you mount them is the challenge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DJOZ78S/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1L7F5DL4H71TK&psc=1

2x brighter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ1XBGW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I13CK0TDYF6FAW&colid=3L2KAN071D6BB

Edited by MN Kitfox 2

Posted

Thanks MN Kitfox 2 I like those and cant beat the price they are on the way. Thanks john

1 person likes this

Posted

Can these lights be hooked to the Crazed Pilot controller to make them Wig/Wag and flash??

Posted (edited)

I have the similar attention lights you got from Amazon to mount at the strut fittings on wings - There is a place in Missouri where I bought an automotive controller - I am sure that the Crazed Pilot original controller wont handle them - However, he is supposed to have a heavier duty controller available now - Donno about it.  Spotlights should have a 10 degree beam and floodlights are 30 degree - I did the math on how big the beams would be on the ground for landings in another old post.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here is the stats from the Crazed controller. 

Max Current Draw: 5 amps LEFT channel, 5 amps RIGHT channel. This means you can drive up to 20 of our 22 LED lamps EACH SIDE! Or 30 of our Bullet LED's ON EACH SIDE! 

Here is the stats of the lights. L

• 6pcs x 3W High Intensity LEDs /each light 
• LED Power: 18W/each light 
• Operating Voltage: DC 10-30V 
• Luminous Flux: 1530 LM 
• Color Temperature: 6000K White Light 
• Spot Beam: 30 degree 
• Working life: 30000 hours above life time 
• Metal mounting bracket included. 
• Body Color: Black 
• Certified by CE 
• Waterproof Rate: IP67

Guess I need to start looking for a controller    

Posted (edited)

I can go to the shop tomorrow and look up brand of cheapest, smallest, lightest auto-type controller I found - Made in Missouri, if that helps.  They make them for Police & emergency vehicles - Priced from low to high depending on model.  Maybe you can find them on ebay?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I bought this 25W spot (10 degree beam) that throw a very intense beam and has 2500 lumens, too lazy to install yet, but took it out at night and it will clearly work as a landing light:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-4-7-CREE-LED-Work-Driving-Light-Spot-Beam-25W-Round-Cannon-Fog-Lamp-Jeep/262864495165?hash=item3d33f1e23d:g:ic8AAOSwSlBYvQpc&vxp=mtr

2 people like this

Posted

I can go to the shop tomorrow and look up brand of cheapest, smallest, lightest auto-type controller I found - Made in Missouri, if that helps.  They make them for Police & emergency vehicles - Priced from low to high depending on model.  Maybe you can find them on ebay?  EDMO

Yes I would like to know more about those Controlllers. 

Thank you nlappos for posting those lights. They look like the perfect solution. 

Vance

Posted (edited)

I believe that there was a Police department in Washington or Oregon selling used ones on ebay when I bought mine - They had been tested and guaranteed to work.  I will get to the shop today to see if I can find it and get mfr. info.  Might sell mine, but don't remember what I paid for it right now.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I happen to be familiar with Police slashing systems. Galls makes and sells a controller unit used on a lot of Emergency Vehicles. I figured these would be overkill for our lights. I’ll admit that electrical systems are not my strong point. Thank you EDMO 

Posted (edited)

Richard,  Here is photo of my Flasher, and a 50-year-old collector's pack of PICAYUNE cancer sticks from New Orleans - No wonder why I have cancer!  The brand is "SHO-ME" (MADE IN MISSOURI) MODEL 03.3031, RANDOM HEADLIGHT FLASHER FOR GROUND SWITCHING HEADLIGHTS.  That's all I know, except it is not mechanical - You might find them and get prices - Give me offer if you want mine.  (The cigarettes are for sale too!  Ha!)   EDMO

FLASHER.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Wow what a collection of information. I think i have a wig wag off my old patrol car think that might work?

Posted (edited)

Wow what a collection of information. I think i have a wig wag off my old patrol car think that might work?

I don't know what the trigger current has to be to wig-wag them - You could give it a try on a temporary hookup.  I never saw the flasher on our patrol cars - mechanics took care of that.   EdMO

Edited by EDMO