lights

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Something like this would also work https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Whelen-Wig-Wag-Model-SSF2150/192331125339?hash=item2cc7d4125b:g:rsEAAOSwlY1ZHJWf

Also there is all kinds of these for vehicle head lights, and a head light is normally 50 watts should be more than enough

OMG! Never saw a Whelen part that cheap - They are usually very proud of them, and e$pensive!  - China is here again!  Ha!   If you scroll down, there are very cheap SHO-ME flashers there too.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks

Posted

I use the vision X light but in all fairness, any time I do any night flying and really need a landing light it is in the winter on skis and they really light up the snow.  I have never tried them as landing lights on anything but snow as it does not get dark here in the summer :lol:

I have the crazed pilot controller but have never hooked it up for the wig wag.  I really need to do that as it seriously helps for recognition.  For those wondering, I went for the high tech mounting method on my landing gear leg.. an Adel clamp :lmao:

:BC:

Posted

I use the vision X light but in all fairness, any time I do any night flying and really need a landing light it is in the winter on skis and they really light up the snow.  I have never tried them as landing lights on anything but snow as it does not get dark here in the summer :lol:

I have the crazed pilot controller but have never hooked it up for the wig wag.  I really need to do that as it seriously helps for recognition.  For those wondering, I went for the high tech mounting method on my landing gear leg.. an Adel clamp :lmao:

I’ve ran these on the Crazed Pilot Controller three times for extended periods and it seems to handle them well. This same controller runs two 48 head LED wing lights on my Zenith 701 with no problem. I have a hard time believing it will not handle two 6 head lights with 1/4 of the wire length. I could use a car flasher but they are heavy. If I’m wrong I burn up a relatively cheap controller. So far it seems to handle it. We shall see. I’m by no means an electrical guru. In fact I’m at the other end of the spectrum. 

:unsure:

1 person likes this

Posted

I've been running the Vision X lights on a Crazed Pilot controller in all three modes, wig-wag, strobe and continuously since the Mangy has been flying.

The controller has worked flawlessly.

2 people like this

Posted

I’ve ran these on the Crazed Pilot Controller three times for extended periods and it seems to handle them well. This same controller runs two 48 head LED wing lights on my Zenith 701 with no problem. I have a hard time believing it will not handle two 6 head lights with 1/4 of the wire length. I could use a car flasher but they are heavy. If I’m wrong I burn up a relatively cheap controller. So far it seems to handle it. We shall see. I’m by no means an electrical guru. In fact I’m at the other end of the spectrum. 

:unsure:

I would say worst case, you could use a couple relays and have the controller run the relays.  Not sure how they will hold up top constant use but you can get a prewired relay for the lights for around 8 bucks off amazon.  I had originally wired the lights on my side x side direct to the switch but had a flickering issue.  I used the relay and now they don't flicker or trip out on me.  The biggest thing to remember is the load on the stator.. its only 170 watts tops so bear that in mind when sizing your lights. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Just for info on LED lights - CREE makes the brightest LEDs I have found.  EDMO