Cowl/muffler interference

3 posts in this topic

Posted

After my last flight I noticed a burn mark through my cowling. The last curve before the pipe goes into the muffler is touching the cowl and it burned a hole in the cowl. I did take the exhaust manifold apart and must have moved something. The plane had flown before and little interference was noticeable. Should I try and move the muffler over in it’s mounts to gain clearance? You can see in the first picture that the wear point has moved locations. The lower black mark is the new one. 

568AAB22-87AA-4204-9D31-35E4CE21D9B7.jpeg

113D27E0-479F-4A01-BF61-F581A7F81232.jpeg

image.jpg

Posted

My Mk4/582 does exactly  that. There was enough flexure in the whole the muffler assembly that I could pull it straight aft about 1/2” with a few wraps of safety wire from the bottom of the circular  muffler bracket (shown in your photo ) to a screw I put in the bottom of the firewall. 

Posted

Another thing you could do is hang the muffler off the firewall.  The factory mount it prone to cracking, both of mine broke from the vibration.  Here is a picture showing a heat muff on the muffler, but if you look at the ends of the muffler, you see plates welded on that rubber mount to angels on the firewall.  JImChuk

firewall muffler mt + heat muff 013 (Large).jpg

1 person likes this