Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel Tank Suppliers

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Are there still any suppliers for the early model Kitfox replacement fuel tanks?    Specifically for the undercamber wings of the Model i --> III?

Posted

I got mine through Kitfox but did have to pay dearly for them. Well over a thousand bucks by the time they arrived.  I wish you could buy directly from the maker I hate nothing more than a middle man thinking they deserve a huge cut for doing next to nothing. 

Posted

Isn't there a guy out in Idaho making the tanks?  I can't remember his name, but we talked about this about a year or so ago.  I can't remember his name right now,  but he may have even posted here.  Search the archives perhaps.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Not sure if you would want a used Kitfox 2 - 12 gallon tank- It didn't leak when removed with 80 hours on plane, because I had scrapped the plane and bought 4 new tanks from the guy who used to make tanks for Kitfox (now out of business) - I never put E-Gas in it.  Personally, I would clean it and use CASWELL in it before installing.  I think I could get it sent to you for $200?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Get ahold of Stace Schlader from Ridgerunner. He makes the poly tanks. They are slightly smaller but will never rot due to ethanol fuel. 

Posted

Thanks All.

Posted

Stace Schrader makes Kitfox model 1,2,3 ribs. Also makes an extended gear for the older 'foxes'.  I just got a couple of wing tanks from him for my II.

Posted

For those Avid flyers who wish to add fuel capacity to their existing tanks, I would refer you to the Strut football Fuel tanks on page 173 of the A/C Spruce catalog.

They carry 5 gallons and are hung from the lower part of the jury struts on the bar that goes from the front to rear wing struts.

I use to have these on my GT400 ultralight during those days, but these were 2.5 gallons each.

I was going to buy these tanks for my Avid MK4, but found I wouldn't be able to fold my wings because the rear part of the tank would hit the fuselage.

You can bring the fuel line down along the rear strut to your header tank.

John M

Posted

For those Avid flyers who wish to add fuel capacity to their existing tanks, I would refer you to the Strut football Fuel tanks on page 173 of the A/C Spruce catalog.

They carry 5 gallons and are hung from the lower part of the jury struts on the bar that goes from the front to rear wing struts.

I use to have these on my GT400 ultralight during those days, but these were 2.5 gallons each.

I was going to buy these tanks for my Avid MK4, but found I wouldn't be able to fold my wings because the rear part of the tank would hit the fuselage.

John M

John, that would depend on how you mount the tanks.  I am going to mount mine a bit further forward so I can still fold the wings.  I also have quick disconnects on them so I can pull a couple clamps and drop the tanks when not needed.  I have them plumbed in through a pump and 3 way selector so I can pump from the football tanks back into the main tanks for easy inflight fuel transfer.

:BC:

Posted

Stace Schrader makes Kitfox model 1,2,3 ribs. Also makes an extended gear for the older 'foxes'.  I just got a couple of wing tanks from him for my II.

He makes Fiberglass tanks for the early kitfoxes? May I ask what he charges and how to contact him.

Posted

TJ, go to rocky mountain wings  at realflying.com and send him an E-mail or call him. his number is listed there. $195 for a single tank (5 1/2 gal). Since you are an ole ultralight guy, I am going to use the challenger 5 gallon ultralight tank as my header tank. Its 10"X11"X15" tall. Switch the cap to a non-vented one,  cut off the internal pick-up tube and use it for the vent, install the in and out fittings and make your cradle out of alumn strap. That will give me an extra 5 gal.

Posted

AKFLYER

Could you send a photo of your tank mounts to skypics234 at aol dot com?

I would like to be able to be able to burn mogas for my short trips.

John M

Posted

AKFLYER

Could you send a photo of your tank mounts to skypics234 at aol dot com?

I would like to be able to be able to burn mogas for my short trips.

John M

I had borrowed Randy's tanks last year in prep for a long trip, I have since bought my own but have not gone on a long trip so I have not installed them yet on mine but I plan to do so soon.  Will get pics of how I mount them when I do.  The aluminum mounts that Randy made slide over the backs of the struts and a hose clamp fore and aft hold them very secure.

Posted (edited)

John M

John, that would depend on how you mount the tanks.  I am going to mount mine a bit further forward so I can still fold the wings.  I also have quick disconnects on them so I can pull a couple clamps and drop the tanks when not needed.  I have them plumbed in through a pump and 3 way selector so I can pump from the football tanks back into the main tanks for easy inflight fuel transfer.

Can you post some pics of how you have mounted the tanks on the wing struts?

How are you dealing with the venting from the strut mounted tanks being lower than your wing tanks?

Are you pumping from the strut tanks to the wing tank or are you switching the fuel selector to only draw from a strut tank one at a time?

What size pump are you using?

I have two of the football tanks and a three way selector sitting on the shelf.

Vacuum lock is a quick way to have an engine out. Having different levels of fluid it seems that the football tanks need to be vented to the main vent at the top of the wing. Unless it works ok with a pump providing pressure and is switched off and the valve set to isolate the football strut tanks.

Any insight would be great!

Thanks

Edited by rdooley79

Posted

I use a baggage compartment tank as my aux fuel, it has a vented cap. It is far lower than the wing tank of course. I use a check valve in the supply line from the aux tank to prevent any down flow, and I use a facet pump that lifts the fuel into the main tank, and feeds it thru a small hole in the wing root so all the aux fuel can do is refill the main tank. That way I don't mess with original, proven engine feed at all. 

Posted

Does anybody make the panel mounted tanks?

Posted

Does anybody make the panel mounted tanks?

I have one Ill sell ya its for a kitfox

Posted

Get ahold of Stace Schlader from Ridgerunner. He makes the poly tanks. They are slightly smaller but will never rot due to ethanol fuel. 

Does anyone have contact information for Stace? Is he still in business.  I sure could use some wing tanks.