Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

test flight in Ridge Runner 1 with VGs

3 posts in this topic

Posted

2 people like this

Posted

Nice video - How about a written report on comparison of flight with and without the VGs?  Thanks,  EDMO

Posted

My Ridge Runner 1 has a 503 Rotax, DCDI, IVO 68 Grd. adjustable prop set for 6100 static. Empty weight is 400#.

Flying weight is 400# +230 fat pilot+60# (ten gallons gas)

Before VGS installed , stall was a sharp break at 45 flaps up and 43ish full flaps power off.  Never did try to stall it full power  with full flaps...

After VGs, (StolSpeed Vgs from AC Spruce) , stall is more of a mush around 25-26 mph, able to do steady state flight at 28-30 MPH easily.

Make approach at 50 , slow to 40 on final and over the end of the runway hold the plane off and it was touching down around 30.  I am sure it would go slower on landing but I would have to use a lot of power and the tail would  hit first.... Also the VGs definitely made the ailerons more responsive and crisp....I installed the Vgs just like the directions said....

I know Vgs work differently or not at all on different shaped airfoils but they sure helps this under cambered airfoil. You can still get the airplane into a high sink/mush rate but now with VGs at a much lower airspeed....definitely worth the $100 I spent... I had so much trouble with the double backed tape, I just super glued  them on..Mark

1 person likes this