Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WINGS ON EBAY (???)

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Something rather odd about these wings.  Didn't we see them before?  They look like Avid wingtips, but when I looked at the pictures, I see there are 6 flaperon hangers on them.  Also looks like double jury strut brackets.  Plus it looks like the strut attachment point are a long ways out on the wing.  Looks like the ribs are on 18" centers.  Odd.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Something rather odd about these wings.  Didn't we see them before?  They look like Avid wingtips, but when I looked at the pictures, I see there are 6 flaperon hangers on them.  Also looks like double jury strut brackets.  Plus it looks like the strut attachment point are a long ways out on the wing.  Looks like the ribs are on 18" centers.  Odd.  JImChuk

Magnum?  Something else?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what they are, Magnun looks different at the tip, looking at Barry Cole's pictures, looks like 7 flaperon hangers, and lift strut attachment isn't that far out from what I can tell.  These wings look like the strut attaches about 10' out from the fuselage.  I wonder if it's the result of someones  "better idea"   Was going to ask the seller a question, but his add doesn't allow questions.  That's unusual for ebay.  JImChuk

I thought I had seen them before.  Maybe I'll call him in the morning....

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

These wings are listed in Team Kitfox classifieds. IIRC, cnsensus was they were Avid wings. Kind of surprised seller listed them on eBay as KF4 wings after that thread discussion. 

Posted (edited)

Doug,  I think they are just listed as Kitfox - No model number?

There were two tip designs for the Magnum - One looked like this and the other was an eye-poker pointed "Finch"? tip.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Seller described them as KF4 wings on TKF classified ad. I’ve only seen the Finch tips (eye pokers) on a Magnum. 

Posted

Seller described them as KF4 wings on TKF classified ad. I’ve only seen the Finch tips (eye pokers) on a Magnum. 

The early Magnum book I sold had the angled tip drawings in it, like these.  I think Ron has the pointed ones on his?  EDMO

Posted (edited)

These were posted on TeamKitfox a while back as Kitfox IV wings.  They definitely are NOT Kitfox. 

Those are Avid flapperons and the hangars (rib tails) and wing tips make them Avid for sure.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Looking at these wings they could very well be avid catalina wings.....same ribs number/spacing, same flaperon hanger number and same wing tip shape......

Anyone to confirm?

Cheeers

Posted (edited)

Looking at these wings they could very well be avid catalina wings.....same ribs number/spacing, same flaperon hanger number and same wing tip shape......

Anyone to confirm?

Cheeers

I had guessed that, but not enough knowledge on Cat to make statement.  Might be?  6 attachments compared to 7 for Magnum and 5 for most Avid & Kitfox.  Might just be the "Kitfox Length" (33' span Cat wings) to put on a shorter winged Avid to improve takeoff & landing performance?   Flaperons to match too - Just need longer struts to make them work, although I didn't notice if there were any tanks in the wings - check that out.  Does the Cat have wing tanks or only a fuselage tank?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey EDMO, I did notice the tanks in both rh/lh wings. The only trouble is that they're probably fibreglass (not ethanol safe).

These wings really interest me because I need, at some point, to do my flaperon hangers and also ad a second fuel tank...(I only have one in my Rh wing :( )

Last but not least, as an amphibian floatplane it is very easy to damage the wing or flaperon (docking, heavy sea, trailering etc) at some point....having a spare sounds sweet to me. Only downside is they are very far away...

From your experience, what would be a fair price for these wings including the flaperons??? 4000 $ us seems a bit steep to me.

Thank you for your knowledgeable input EDMO

Cheers, Laurent

Posted (edited)

Hey EDMO, I did notice the tanks in both rh/lh wings. The only trouble is that they're probably fibreglass (not ethanol safe).

These wings really interest me because I need, at some point, to do my flaperon hangers and also ad a second fuel tank...(I only have one in my Rh wing :( )

Last but not least, as an amphibian floatplane it is very easy to damage the wing or flaperon (docking, heavy sea, trailering etc) at some point....having a spare sounds sweet to me. Only downside is they are very far away...

From your experience, what would be a fair price for these wings including the flaperons??? 4000 $ us seems a bit steep to me.

Thank you for your knowledgeable input EDMO

Cheers, Laurent

The wings are probably worth the asking price - BUT:  Since these were/are "mis-advertised" on TKF and ebay, and NEVER SOLD, I believe a lower offer would be appropriate - maybe including shipping to you, since the seller said, "or best offer".   CAT wings for sale are very scarce to non-existent.  The closest you could come to them would be a Kitfox 4 (32' span) wing kit which was selling for $5500 a couple of years ago with new E-resistant tanks, flaperons and struts, and you have to build it, and modify them to use your struts, and maybe flaperon controls?  If I had a CAT, I would be trying to get them. 

I just went back to the ebay post and now it says, "AVID Wings"  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Determined on TKF they are for a Catalina...