Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

motor cycle brakes?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Does any body know why you could not use rear back brake slave for toe brakes, maybe off a larger bike. Maybe  you cant plumb them in line? The larger bikes are around 4-600lbs and they have a mechanical dis advantage with the large rear wheel.

Posted

I don't see why not. Ultralights are using Mountain bike brakes now. 

Posted

What's the advantage? Cost? Pretty tough to beat a Matco MC-4D with an intensifier kit. George Happ is pretty smart dude!

Heres the set up on my two Avid's. The correct geometry is key to proper working pressure at the caliper. Both of these birds will do full power static run ups with no creep using just brakes. 

IMG_5018.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

Posted

The motor cycle slaves are $50 bucks I need 4, The mc4 are 175 each ouch. I don't know about plumbing the back pressure from one to the other.

Posted (edited)

The motor cycle slaves are $50 bucks I need 4, The mc4 are 175 each ouch. I don't know about plumbing the back pressure from one to the other.

Jared,  I think I can ship you 4 used Matco MC4 brake cylinders for $200.  They don't have the fork at the top end, but have a hole in the rod end, so you have to make a fork on your pedals to make them work - not a big deal.  You probably need to study the 2.5 : 1 ratio (pedal height to attachment tab length ratio) that makes them work best - I think it is on the Matco site.  Or, get some info from others here.   Most everyone on here has had to modify their pedals and MC attachment tabs to get better brakes.  C5Engineer's pedals are not the factory pedals - they are modified.  I have several sets of MCs - got to check inventory.     EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Jared,  I think I can ship you 4 used Matco MC4 brake cylinders for $200.  They don't have the fork at the top end, but have a hole in the rod end, so you have to make a fork on your pedals to make them work - not a big deal.  You probably need to study the 2.5 : 1 ratio (pedal height to attachment tab length ratio) that makes them work best - I think it is on the Matco site.  Or, get some info from others here.   Most everyone on here has had to modify their pedals and MC attachment tabs to get better brakes.  C5Engineer's pedals are not the factory pedals - they are modified.  I have several sets of MCs - got to check inventory.     EDMO

Sounds good and thanks, let me do a little research , need to know if these can be plumbed together.

Posted (edited)

Sounds good and thanks, let me do a little research , need to know if these can be plumbed together.

Yes, they are made for dual brakes - need a cheap small reservoir for fluid to keep them full - goes on firewall usually.   I may have a set with forks - got several.   Plumbing for them is simple, but probably on Matco site,.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

PM sent