Checking out an Avid

39 posts in this topic

Posted

In my experience, insuring your experimental plane for training is the single biggest impediment to what you propose, assuming you want to protect either your assets or your aircraft investment. Can't do it if it's simply not available. Everything else is just writing a check.

Posted

Just some thoughts from up north.  Maybe plan on going for an adventure this weekend and see is this dude will take you up for a few laps around the field, you may just get into this bird and say this plane is not for me.

As far as your training time,  I think I had 4 hours in the log book when I purchased my first aircraft, best decision I made in regards to flight training.

regards Joe

Posted

feel free to shoot me the pics as well and I will look them over.

:BC:

Thanks. Have you seen my PM? Any feedback?

Posted

Yes I did look at the pics.  I can't speak about the Jab engine, others here have talked about that.  Looks to me like a C model with MK IV upgrades.  At least the doors are C model doors but it looks to have the speed wing and MKIV cowling and rudder.  I would for sure get it checked out by someone that knows Avids and have an instructor or competent Avid pilot take it for a spin before buying.  The only speed wing I have flown was an extended one and I loved it. 

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks, Akflyer. Jim had a similar comment and wonder if it is really a full MK IV. I will check it out and get more pictures. Is there any specific areas that I should photo? Thanks a lot.

Posted

There's still an Avid Yahoo group????

Posted

Ya, a few diehards left there.  It shows up on my email, so I'm still there.  JImChuk

Posted

Due to my schedule, I planned to check out the airplane in January. But when I contacted the seller a week ago, he told me that the Avid is sell pending now. So I guess I will miss this one.

I have done some other study. For insurance (experimental airplane + 0hr student), that would be over $2K/year. Add on top the $1K/year tiedown and $1K annual conditional, this is $4K/year fixed cost. For my schedule, I think I can realistically fly maybe 50hrs per year. So the fixed cost alone would be $80/hr. Assuming $20/hr fuel cost, that puts my flying cost at $100/hr. I can probably rent wet at that rate. Maybe buying an airplane before license does not make financial sense in my situation? What do you guys suggest?

Posted

Personally I would NOT leave the avid flyer tied down outside in the elements. I'd try and have the avid stored inside (ideally have it in your garage at home=0$). Also, you should do the annual yourself. You'll save lots of money and know your bird inside out...

An annual, done by yourself should not cost more that 200-300$. Insurance @ 2K a year seems too high...have you requested a quote?

I operate my avid @ 700$ fixed cost per year. I fly 50Hrs so per Hr including fuel is about 45$....

Also when you rent you have to consider yearly membership fees and the limited availability. You probably will finish your PPL much quicker with your own aircraft hiring an instructor and that is a money saver.

My 2 cents...happy flying

Posted

Hey aflyer, Sorry about your loss but it was my gain. i'm the buyer of the plane that you're talking about. When it gets to me and i fly it, i'll let you know how it flies.

Posted

Hey aflyer, Sorry about your loss but it was my gain. i'm the buyer of the plane that you're talking about. When it gets to me and i fly it, i'll let you know how it flies.

Where are you located? 

Posted

C5engineer, Just outside of Eagle, Ak

Posted

I am in a similar situation to Adam in that I am working on my light sport, have completed the written, and am gathering hours to finish my ticket.  I found an Avid MK IV with a 582 Rotax that I am seriously considering but they let the registration lapse so I will have to get a new N number, new registration, and new airworthiness certificate (to match the new N number).  The owner says the engine runs strong.  If it were registered and flying, the price seems reasonable ($14,500 with trailer) but I am a little nervous about buying without a test flight.  Any suggestions?