Solo bungee wrapping

13 posts in this topic

Posted

My bungees have been on the loose side and today I went from seven wraps to eight wraps. Was able to do it by myself with the help of clamps.

20171124_134505.jpg

20171124_121430.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Where there's a will, there's a way.  ;) JImChuk

Posted

Posted

I'm not convinced we all have this "double-bar" config under the seat.  I know the Avid doesn't.  The axe-handle approach won't work for me.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The method shown in the video only works on a Kitfox.  Avid seat truss is different.    JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Bought type-1 bungees from AS&S, made up 90-in sections with loops on ends.  Marked off the 7 increments.  Tried to stretch the first segment to the mark.  Couldn't do it!  For this old, not-too-strong guy it seems impossible!  Especially with no real way to hold the stretched segment in place.  I am about to punt, and go buy non-type-1 bungee from the hardware store.  It's not nearly as stiff.   Altrnatively, I could put on fewer wraps.  The Canadian's axe-handle trick doesn't work on the Avid.  What have others done here in terms of mechanical advantage & holding?  I think I'll stretch-test the type-1 stuff to see if I can get away with 6 wraps instead of 7. 

Posted

I couldn't do the Avid taildragger type gear bungees by myself.  I did my Kitfox 1 alone though .  Get someone to help you.  Also, you should have left the one end without a loop and tie it when it's wrapped around the hook.  If you have an extra foot or so when you have the 7 wraps in place, the one guy can hold onto it while the other guy ties it off.  The other problem with tying off the second loop first is it gets hard to feed it though the hole as you get more  wraps in place.  Been there, done that, YMMV.,  JimChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Perhaps I should've explained in the original post that I was using one clamp on the top side and one on the bottom. It went pretty well for me, but the bungees were not new either.

Edited by marcusofcotton

Posted

Hi Turbo,

I'm not familiar with "type-1 bungees from AS&S", the one normally recommended to use (i.e. the one used in the original design) can be found at Aircraft Spruce with reference 06-12400 (3/8" shock cord) 

I made an attempt with a "not so stiff "bungee with the same diameter from a marine store... flexed well by me just sitting down in the plane... A less stiff cord would need additional wraps and there isn't much place for that...  I assume you could use a different quality bungee but the length and/or number of wraps would need to be adjusted accordingly.  

We need to find a better solution...

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Fred,

The type-1 bungee from AS&S is exactly the one you mention, 06-12400.  I am thinking of making a tool to help with the installation.  I know I am no way strong enough to install them unaided.  If the tool is successful I will share it, as you did.  

Posted (edited)

Its so much easier to get a friend and do it one on top and one under plane. Makes it at least manageable. I'm sure its been done solo, but is it worth it? With help you can have the job completed in less than half an hour. Just sayin..... :-)

Edited by Chris Bolkan
3 people like this

Posted

Or two friends so you can have a beer while they take the pain of changing the bungees...

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Great idea, Fred!  Unortunately, my nearby friends tend to be little old guys like me.  I have, however found that by far the best tool for holding the tension on wraps already made is a pair of vise grip pliers!  I have an installation tensioning tool that shows promise too, but I need to first validate that my loop terminations will not let go at maximum extension.  If successful, I'll share some pics.

Edited by Turbo