Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HKS700E and prop for sale

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

sold

Edited by zadwit

Posted

Yesterday you were putting this on your Fox what happened? I only flew behind an HKS once and it was a gutless wonder compared to a 582 in the same plane. Sure felt like a LOT more difference than 5hp. Plane was not an Avid but I wouldn't have put two people in it with the HKS. Fuel burn is incredible on it but that was about all that impressed me.

Posted

The HKS is a great little engine, but realistically it is comparable to a 503 as far as power is concerned.  You are right, Joey.  It's no 582 replacement.

I believe Zadwit has (rightly so) determined a 912 is a better fit for his Model IV Kitfox.

Posted

I think so as Well cause you can't beat the 912 and I will go that way when the bmw gives up the ghost 

Posted (edited)

Edited by zadwit

Posted

So when you guys mount that style ski Is it like a 3/8th rod that slides all the way through the axle?  Also what do you do with the bearing grease cap?

Posted

The first skis that I had were like this on my Bungee gear.  I had a second dust cap with a hole in the middle.  I put an o-ring on the shaft going through the middle and it sort of kept the grease inside.

I have a buddy with a Ridge Runner project that would love to go 4-stroke.  HKS would work well on that one.  I sent him a link...

Posted

Mike Ricketts has an HKS in his Avid, and it seems to perform fairly well.  Everything I've read about them indicates they are much closer in power to a 503 than a 582 though.  The big thing is how much weight are you expecting that engine to pull around.  Remember that when the first Avid Flyers came out, they were powered by a 440 Cuyuna engine.  Those planes were very light though.  JImChuk

Posted

Like 370lbs, my # 82 came in 380, changed lower door sill, and brakes and seat