Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

c box remove

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I was going to remove my c box tomorrow any secrets I should know? I sold the motor.

Posted (edited)

I don't know about the C box, but I had to borrow a special puller to get the gear off of the crank for the A box when I sold it.  The gear is matched to the ratio.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

No real secrets. You need to take off the cover after draining the gear oil to get to 4 of the 8 mounting bolts holding the gearbox to engine. Taking off the rubber donut is straight forward. Reinstalling it on the next engine reqires a compression clamp to line up the holes. 

Plan on purchasing a new cover gasket. I get mine from JBM Indusries.  http://jbmindustries.com

Posted

You will also need a puller to get the flywheel off the crankshaft.  Easy to make one though, as there are 3 taped holes in the flywheel where the rubber donut bolts to it.  Take a piece of steel, drill 3 holes in it that line up with the holes in the flywheel, put a spacer (socket) between the puller and the end of the crankshaft, and tighten up the bolts till the flywheel pops off.  Tighten up the bolts evenly so you aren't pulling way harder on one side of the flywheel than the other.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Make sure you keep track of the shims and their location as you pull apart.  

I posted the c box service manual over in files:

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Well that was easy, thanks guys

Posted

Need help. the person I was going sell the motor to  tomorrow says that I could have ruined the motor, buy not putting a steel pin through a hole against the crank to hold the motor from turning over when I removed the 19 mm bolt? The bolt came out real easy with a impact gun. Cant find any imfo on line thanks need comfirmation.

Posted

I posted a reply on your other post dealing with this topic.  The shop that has done all my 2 stroke rebuilds always checks the crank for trueness. (not twisted)   They will also fine tune the crank if that is necessary.  If your engine is from the original kit and never been apart, he should have new seals put in the engine.  That would give the shop a chance to check the crank while they are at it.  I've never used the steel pin and have done 4 582s, 2 532s , 1 447 a couple of times.  A cuyuna 440...........JImChuk

Posted

I do not want to spend $2000 on this motor,not sure what to do. I am still going to meet with his wrench, who could be his brother for all I know. Feel like throwing up at losing this sale.:( And the Yamaha deal.