how to convert a boat trailer to haul a KF

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I would like to get some kind of  boat trailer and convert it so I can haul my KF to the airport when I want to fly.  The  airport is only 1.5 miles  away.....Ive seen these kinds of trailer where the MLG wheels are close to the ground with a small ramp and the tail wheel is winched up a channel towards t he tongue of the trailer..... Is there anything in particular I should look for.  Ill have to cut and weld to make  this work I suppose. Just looking for ideas.....ALso didnt there used to be some kind of hitch that pined to the back of the tail wheel  and fuselage and then you just pull the plane slowly to the airport with a ball hitch????Thanks, Mark Smith

Posted

There is a tow bar available that fit on the rear of the airplane as you describe.  Going only 1.5 miles to the airport, the tow bar would make a lot of sense.  I didn't find a picture of one in a quick search, but I'm sure someone will have one available.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Someone posted a photo of a tow bar on here a while back - not sure if it sold.   You could probably make one easily.  If you are not on a highway, that is great - otherwise, most aircraft tires are "Not for highway use" like lawn tractor tires.  For a long haul on trailer, you want to support the tail and not put weight on tailspring, and put supports under wing spars.  Slow short haul should be not a problem unless road is too rough.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

You cant open any of those unless you can log into TKF.  Can you, or someone, open them and post in Files & Forms?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I have used a tow bar. Wouldn't recommend it. It's a bit difficult to handle physically. Go the boat trailer option or even better an enclosed trailer-I'm considering one of those

Posted (edited)

I have used a tow bar. Wouldn't recommend it. It's a bit difficult to handle physically. Go the boat trailer option or even better an enclosed trailer-I'm considering one of those

If you hook up the tow bar BEFORE folding wings, you should only be lifting about 50 lbs, plus weight of towbar - build it light as possible but strong enough not to bend with the extra weight of the wings - Unhook AFTER unfolding wings.  Don't forget that the wings stick out farther back than the tail - I don't know about the stretched fuselage wings.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

Ed,

Thats one of those things that looks good in a brochure, but in reality is more of a pain in the ass. Also, the tow bar extends 3-4' past the wings so it takes up a lot of extra storage space. 

1 person likes this

Posted

If you leave the plane on the trailer, I would think the trailer would take up more extra storage space.  And can't you  just unhook the tow bar by pulling 2 pins?   I've never used one though, so don't have any first hand experience. Used a trailer quite a few times though. JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim,

70% of the weight is in the back of the plane with wings back.  The wings have to be unfolded to get the bar of and the tail wheel to clear the bar. 

Posted

I actually have one, but never have used it.  I would imagine if someone was going to build one, they could make it a bit stronger, and have it like a fork that would slide past the tailwheel.  I did manage to find one picture on line of it in use. Not a great picture though.  Seems like the tail wheel is pretty close to the ground in this picture.   JImChuk

avid tow bar 1.jpg

Posted

Someone posted a photo of a tow bar on here a while back - not sure if it sold.   You could probably make one easily.  If you are not on a highway, that is great - otherwise, most aircraft tires are "Not for highway use" like lawn tractor tires.  For a long haul on trailer, you want to support the tail and not put weight on tailspring, and put supports under wing spars.  Slow short haul should be not a problem unless road is too rough.    EDMO

I think this aughta do? 

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4990

You cant open any of those unless you can log into TKF.  Can you, or someone, open them and post in Files & Forms?

Here you go Ed.

Towbar (Large).jpg

2 people like this

Posted

OK, now where is the boat trailer conversion plans?  EDMO

Posted

Tha'ts pretty cool wonder how long the Nancos would last going down the highway. Those two tubes on the back of the plane for this attachment I sanded the edges smooth and covered fabric right over them because I had no idea what they were for ha.

Posted

Tha'ts pretty cool wonder how long the Nancos would last going down the highway. Those two tubes on the back of the plane for this attachment I sanded the edges smooth and covered fabric right over them because I had no idea what they were for ha.

The Ventral Fin for float planes also attaches to those tubes.  EDMO

1 person likes this