Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Frozen Rotax 912 Oil Cooler

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to make rotax 912 owners aware of the fact that condensation in the oil cooler can freeze and block oil flow.  I started my 912 on Sunday.  Had 6 psi oil pressure.  Tried several times to trace it down but could not find it until I unhooked the outlet hose on oil tank and unhooked the oil line at pump.  Zero flow of oil or air through the line.  Heated up oil cooler and pressurized it to 25 psi with compressor and the blockage popped loose.  I knew it was water because of milky deposit that came out.  So be aware if your engine is running below 180 degree oil temp then the engine is probably not burning off condensation which can sit in a low spot and freeze later. 

Edited by lv2plyguitar

Posted

If you have used compressed air to clear your cooler you MUST re-prime the oil system or you engine will be destroyed on the next startup!!

This is why when operating a 912 you need to get the oil up to temperature to evaporate the condensation out of it.  Any coolers should be taped off or bypassed if necessary to get the oil to temperature, which is 200 degrees Fahrenheit or more.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's that way with any engine with an external cooler.  A heat gun or hair dryer on the cooler will take care of it too without putting air into the system.  If your preheating that should take care of any frozen crap as well.  30 minutes or so with a red dragon or some type of AC heater will make your engine love you.

:BC:

Posted

Different type engine of course, but I remove my oil cooler on the Jabiru when it gets cold enough to not need it.  JImChuk

Posted

Could be done on the Rotax, too.  Just need to be careful and purge air from the system.

Posted

Larry, does purging air from system mean 'burping it'?  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

No.

Burping is the process of pulling through the engine to clear as much oil as possible back to the tank in order to check it accurately.

Purging the oil system is the process of eliminating the air from the lines and oil pump so that the pump will supply oil to the engine. 

See the installation manual chapter 13.10.  Link

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Thanks Larry,  I kind of remember what you're talking about now.  I'll have to dig back deeper into it when I'm ready to fire up my 912 for the first time.  Thanks,  JImChuk