Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tow Bar Drawings for Kitfox

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This appears to be the towbar that you attach a hitch receiver onto and tow the plane behind a vehicle using the aircraft's wheels as "trailer wheels"

Credit and thanks to a TeamKitFox member (and a pic from Jim C) for posting over there:

Towbar_(Large).thumb.jpg.c19ba94b889eaa8f0bbacc5dfb09f9d4.jpg

kitfox tow hitch - 2.jpg

avid_tow_bar_1.thumb.jpg.1609911454b744be66952e477750c602.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this

Posted

And Jim, you need a bigger truck (or at least taller hitch) to do that tow correctly LOL!

:BC:

Posted

It wasn't my tow bar or truck in the picture I posted.  I noticed how low it was, and now looking at the picture again, I wonder if it's not up side down.  See how the mounting tabs go down?   The black one and the drawing show the tabs going up.  That would raise the airplane up 6" or 8" more.  You would think the ball hitch should  be a giveaway,  but maybe someone had a 'better idea' and turned it over.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

It wasn't my tow bar or truck in the picture I posted.  I noticed how low it was, and now looking at the picture again, I wonder if it's not up side down.  See how the mounting tabs go down?   The black one and the drawing show the tabs going up.  That would raise the airplane up 6" or 8" more.  You would think the ball hitch should  be a giveaway,  but maybe someone had a 'better idea' and turned it over.  JImChuk

Aren't these also made in 2 pieces, and maybe made "foldable"?  It would be simple to put the rear part upside down.  Am I correct, that the Kitfox towbar may not be correct to fit Avids?  Wonder when someone will get back to the original post and question about modifying a boat trailer?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I've had two factory made tow bars, both had the tangs facing up. Used one to move my KF3 from home to the hangar for several miles, figured it would be easier than diggin the trailer out of the woods. Cut off and rewelded the tangs on the other to fit my KF4 so I could use it to move the plane around with a trailer dolly when the wings were folded but never did use it on the road for any distance. Kept the wings level if folded with fuel too. I would not be comfortable towing long distance at highway speeds with the tow bars that's for sure.

Here's some plans and pics I found in my ideas folder.

Avid with Kitfox wing.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

trailer ramp idea.jpg

Trailer.JPG

trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

2 people like this