flight testing avid mkiv help wanted

12 posts in this topic

Posted

built my avid in two years, received a/w cert in October 17.  First flight was uneventful, was sluggish but flyable.

bought a new prop from warp drive set pitch at 13 degrees.  hardly flew, 200 ft per min vsi.

have re-pitched prop to 11 degrees, hoping this will help with climb rate and flight ability.

if anyone has numbers or suggestions for better flight , I would appreciate any help you may offer.

thanks,,

jim

Posted (edited)

built my avid in two years, received a/w cert in October 17.  First flight was uneventful, was sluggish but flyable.

bought a new prop from warp drive set pitch at 13 degrees.  hardly flew, 200 ft per min vsi.

have re-pitched prop to 11 degrees, hoping this will help with climb rate and flight ability.

if anyone has numbers or suggestions for better flight , I would appreciate any help you may offer.

thanks,,

jim

What is size of prop?  What kind of blades?  Rpms & Egts?  Tach?  Weight of flight?  Passenger?  Density Altitude?  Wings?   582? 

Got a prop photo?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

the prop is a warp drive 72" taper tip 3 blade

6300 rpm static, only had 6000 rpms in the air

egt unknown at this time, tiny tach (verified with 3 other tachs)  gross weight was  1100#  speed wings, 582

max gross is 1150 /   max rpm per rotax is 6800

thanks in advance

jim

Posted

Speed wing at 1100 pounds, yikes!

Do you have the wing extensions?

Posted (edited)

Congratulations on the airplane completion and first flight! 

Lotta guys here with knowledge on the plane and motor... they'll help you get her performing well.

Gonna need the egt set up correctly (for tuning and monitoring temp limit). And that sounds like a fairly big prop for a 582, so the pitch change was a step in the right direction.  But if your static rpm was higher than in flight it sounds like the motor needs some dialing in for sure.

Were you flying it at 1100lbs?  Sounds kinda heavy for first flights.

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

With a 3 blade 72" Warp, you may have to much prop on the plane.   What did Darrell from Warp drive have to say about it?  I had a 3 blade 70" warp on the front of an Avid, 582 with 3 - 1gearbox, and I had the impression it was almost to much prop.  If you have to flatten out the blades to much to get to your intended RPM, at some point, all the blades are doing is making mostly drag, and not much pull.   JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

With a 3 blade 72" Warp, you may have to much prop on the plane.   What did Darrell from Warp drive have to say about it?  I had a 3 blade 70" warp on the front of an Avid, 582 with 3 - 1gearbox, and I had the impression it was almost to much prop.  If you have to flatten out the blades to much to get to your intended RPM, at some point, all the blades are doing is making mostly drag, and not much pull.   JImChuk

I'm in agreement with Jim, as usual.  Darrel told me that I could probably get better climb and cruise if my prop was shorter, like a 68" instead of 72" so the blades could have more pitch put in them to get the static rpms at the right place and have more bite at climb & cruise.  I now have a set of 70" blades to try.  Warp can shorten your blades for you, or maybe trade a set with you if yours are not damaged.  They are very nice to try and help customers   I would go for a 68" set for your 582 - The 912 typically takes a 70" 3-blade Warp Drive prop.   Longer wings might help too?   There is a set of 33' span Catalina wings on ebay now that would fit yours.  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

no

Posted

no

gross is 1150, where should I be?

Posted

per daryl at warp drive, this is the prop I needed.

Have since flown 2 hours, much better performance.. seems like airspeed indicator is off about 10 mph, replaced it and still the same. now to check out pitot/static system.

Suggestions appreciated.

Jim

Posted

I recently posted about calibrating an airspeed indicator with a  manometer.  I don't remember the title of the post off hand though.  I used a label maker and relabeled my ASI.  I checked 5 different ASIs and they were all off.  Try doing a saerch using the words calibrating an ASI or something similar to that. JImChuk.

Posted

no

gross is 1150, where should I be?

If its still first flights and getting bugs worked out I would be a s light as possible.  Getting up to max take off weight (there is not such thing as gross weight on EAB) comes later in phase 1.  If I am dealing with issues I want the plane as light as possible.