Avid 4 HD gear and BIG wheels

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone able to help me find a source for this?  Got some big plans for next summer, so looking to prep over the winter!

Posted

There is no such thing as Avid HD gear.  Yes I will argue this.  Joey has the closest thing on his plane, but that it total custom.  The "Cabine" gear offered by Airdale (now out of business) is definitely NOT heavy duty as it came from the manufacturer.  Maybe the new Avid concern will offer something, but that has not been spoken about yet.  He has plenty of other mountains to climb first.

IMO, the heaviest duty gear for purchase would be the Grove spring system.  The Grove system will handle 26 or 29" Airstreaks without a problem.  I wouldn't say that for the offered cabine systems without modification.

Posted

Along with c5engineer, I think that some others here (akflyer and jared payne are two that come to mind) are onto some good options that are in the works.

Sam, run a few searches here for "bush gear" and "what was i smoking" to get some ideas of what guys are trying.

Posted (edited)

Not really sure what your Mission is going to be but I can tell you that on stock Gear and 800s most Avid’s will safely easily go into and out of places their pilots aren’t capable of. Unless you are frequently landing on really rough completely unimproved hillsides the Gear and tires are a waste of money imo. Sure they look cool and all but there’s a very specialized Mission set that makes them worth the $$ and drag. There’s a reason I have two Avid’s as they have two totally different missions.

I’m not trying to discourage you but I think the big tire craze has gotten a bit out of hand and I fell into it as well. A guy on Facebook the other day told me he HAD  to have 29” bushwheels because his buddies grass strip had a hump in it. There are plenty of videos out there of guys in stock C-170s following Supercubs with 31s around in the Backcountry. My MK4 Avid will keep the 8.50s on it and I’ll still be landing 90% of the places I’ll take my B model into. You really need to ask yourself if need or want $3500 worth of gear that’s going to slow you down by 5-8 mph or more. 

Edited by C5Engineer
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Unless you can get them SUPER cheap.

Phat_Tires.thumb.jpg.1ed2637ab7b043a7135

Gots to have Phat Tires...

Edited by Av8r3400
3 people like this

Posted

Unless you can get them SUPER cheap.

Gots to have Phat Tires...

Or you weasel your way into the gang far enough they make you offer you can’t refuse to use your plane as a prototype for their cool stuff. Swingle is in CA right now with his new ride. It’s a modded Glastar on 29s. Performs real well and prob gets him around a bit quicker. Wish I was home to fly with him. He acts like he does in his vids in real life. Helluva character and Pilot. 

1BE6373F-2E58-4408-83C5-C37A4C6FD588.jpeg

Posted

thanks for the answers, great!

Does anyone have a photo of an 800 wheel/tyre combo next to an 8.50?  I get the impression the difference is much more in reality than it seems in numbers...?

Posted

You are correct.

36BD4D55-9B3A-4179-81A5-57D3BB50D770.jpeg

Posted (edited)

850-6 Aero Classic from Desser compared to the traditional 800-6 Carlisel Turf Glide. I got the Desser tires for a bargin just before they got certified, more expensive now but still a good deal compared to tubeless thousands of dollars alternative. And our friend is absolutely right, they look really cool but I have still to find a place to land where I could not have gone with my 90$ Turf Glides... But when you have the coolest looking plane...

image.thumb.jpeg.d08aeffdcb742641ea2d7ea

Edited by FredStork
1 person likes this

Posted

Sam,

...replying to your mail question here as it could be of interest to others...
the Desser 850-6 use the same rims as the 800-6 Carlisel Turf Glide so that is a great saving. However, this will only work if you have disk breaks as the increased diameter of the tires will make drumbrakes useless... I'm even considering adding a second calpier!

Another consideration is if you have skies... The bigger tires are not working with the wheel penetration skies I have so I just bought a pair of cheap drum break rims (like if anything fitting an airplaine was ever cheap...).

Posted (edited)

Just 2c worth more, as if anyone don't know the differences - McCreary or Airstreak tires 800/850 are size comparable to those, but not in plies and weight or price - all are more and more and more - tubes too.  FWIW.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Everyone,

Here is the website for the company building my gear, he also build Ron Davidson's gear for his Magnum.  He does nice work and it is HD!

www.super-12.com

Ask for Steve

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Barry, 

Their contact form doesn't work!  Got any info here about your gear?

Thanks, Sam.

Posted

Sam,

It is best to just call Steve.

Also, here is a link to Ron's gear in the Magnum forum:

Posted 28 Dec 2013 · Report post

Well, it has been a long while, but I thought I would update this post. I decided to design my own gear but have somebody else build it because I wanted it welded right! I can weld, but I thought the landing gear was too critical for me to experiment with! That being said, I had to weld brackets on the front mounts to provide attach points for the cabane V. The gear measures 32" Tall and 73" from axle plate to axle plate. I stole rough numbers from Randy because I liked the AoA on his Avid.

Steve Furjersi at Experimental Aircraft Fabrication inc built the gear for me, and I bought his unique suspension system too. He is a great guy and he really helped engineer a cool gear for my Magnum.

I'm attaching pictures, so take a look, and throw spears if you have them, because I want all of your input!

Thanks,

Ron

post-545-0-70511300-1388265100_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-29202100-1388265166_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-10391700-1388265214_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-63353500-1388265255_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-71086900-1388265306_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-27314200-1388265352_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Sam,

It is best to just call Steve.

Also, here is a link to Ron's gear in the Magnum forum:

Posted 28 Dec 2013 · Report post

Well, it has been a long while, but I thought I would update this post. I decided to design my own gear but have somebody else build it because I wanted it welded right! I can weld, but I thought the landing gear was too critical for me to experiment with! That being said, I had to weld brackets on the front mounts to provide attach points for the cabane V. The gear measures 32" Tall and 73" from axle plate to axle plate. I stole rough numbers from Randy because I liked the AoA on his Avid.

Steve Furjersi at Experimental Aircraft Fabrication inc built the gear for me, and I bought his unique suspension system too. He is a great guy and he really helped engineer a cool gear for my Magnum.

I'm attaching pictures, so take a look, and throw spears if you have them, because I want all of your input!

Thanks,

Ron

post-545-0-70511300-1388265100_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-29202100-1388265166_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-10391700-1388265214_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-63353500-1388265255_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-71086900-1388265306_thumb.jpgpost-545-0-27314200-1388265352_thumb.jpg

Barry,  Did you ever post  or PM a phone number for Steve?  Just noticed that you said "to call Steve".   Trying to help Sam.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

He has a website that’s been posted multiple times. 

Posted

Yup, but his contact form is inop!

I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Thanks, Sam.

Posted

So is the rubbers better than the springs?

Posted (edited)

I had the rubber donuts on my Ercoupe - smoothest landings I ever made.   Believe Polyurethane might be softer or better tuned, but imagine it don't last as long in sun and weather as rubber - forget the name for the best rubber - knew it a week ago too!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I had the rubber donuts on my Ercoupe - smoothest landings I ever made.   Believe Polyurethane might be softer or better tuned, but imagine it don't last as long in sun and weather as rubber - forget the name for the best rubber - knew it a week ago too!   EDMO

where is a good place to buy them? Might be fun to play with

Posted (edited)

where is a good place to buy them? Might be fun to play with

Univair is only place I know for Ercoupe rubbers and too E$pensive to play with!   Polyurethane Products sells punch stripper pads for about $14 each, and in different densities/colors and thickness, holes & diameters.   I posted a photo of one plane that used them - Forget name of plane.  You can buy thick rubber sheets and cut your own.  You need slightly larger diameter aluminum or stainless disks/washers to go between the rubbers.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The problem with the rubber pucks is going to be energy absorption.  Just like coil springs they will immediately rebound their stored energy.  There will be little if any difference to coil steel springs.  

Bungees would do the same, easier, for a lot less money.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think hydraulic/spring or pneumatic shocks are the ultimate energy absorbers, and they have a controlled release of stored energy too - just got to figure what works.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Exactly.

Posted

Ps the price on those rubber puck setups will blow your mind!