Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

If you were going to spend 140K on a bushplane.....

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Nothing against Just Aircraft but it still blows my mind that they make it into the same price bracket as a 260HP IFR equipped Bearhawk that is 10x the airplane in terms of capability over a Superstol. If I had the money I think a Bearhawk is one of the best all around platforms out there in terms of STOL, cruise speed, load, etc. You won’t meet a nicer guy than Bob Barrows either. 

49D6704B-2234-4681-92D6-75E6B517A837.jpeg

9DA73336-8932-45A1-AB42-962FCE2EBFCE.jpeg

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Neither of those airplanes are worth that kind of money, IMO.

$140k should buy you a C185.  Just heard of one of those listed for $250k...

The more money than brains crowd at work.

Posted

You can buy a pretty well equipped 180 for 60-80k. Guess the newer models and 520/550s over a 470 drive a 185 so far up? I don’t even want to guess what this latest version of the Carbon Cub is going to run. I’ll stick to my $15,000 lawn furniture so I have money left over to buy my kid an ice cream cone or something. One of my fav things to do at the big fly ins is to sit back and watch people walk the flightine. They’ll walk right past Maules and Cessnas all day but they always stop at lil ol 9AF and I can’t help but wish I could hear the conversation. My favorite line is yup your prop cost more than m y whole plane. 

F3C14E5F-9862-4875-8629-5F6F298A2590.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Is the bear hawk a direct copy of one of the maule models?

Posted (edited)

I think the BH uses a c172 windshield, I think it was based more on the 170.  I had a maule.  Good plane, but I'd say the bearhawk is better in every respect.  More like the capability of the 180/5

If I needed a big hauler, the BH would be it!

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

And it never ceases to amaze me how much money so many people have to spend on toys and and houses and stuff!

Where do they GET that kind of money? !

Oh yeah.....  financing...

Guess that's what I'm doing wrong.. old school "cash on the barrel" guy. 

Zero debt..  zero show off house and toys LOL!

1 person likes this

Posted

Theres also a lot of people with just more money than brains.  

I can think of several people who I know that have made tons of money by shear Forest Gump luck who are no smarter than the average pair of flip flops.   As an example, there are several 6-figure people that my wife works with that couldn't change a tire or can barely understand basic arithmetic, but since they have an MBA they get paid a boat load of cash to sit in an office and "F" things up.  These people seem to go from one company to the next making tons of cash and accomplishing nothing.

Maybe they are smarter than us...

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah but therein lies my problem...

No money AND no brains.

But I do have a really hot wife, great kids, and a hangar queen (with a half installed snowmobile motor) in my garage stall.

So I'm pretty happy with things!

:)

Posted

That's what really matters.

Posted (edited)

18 days left on my deployment. Can’t wait to get home to my girls and the Divas. (My wife figured out that Avid backwards is Diva)

D54F2D57-1D30-48D7-832C-AF7E25A3DCC1.jpeg

11C813FF-A431-428D-8E20-005856D58A00.jpeg

Edited by C5Engineer
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Although I love getting into the sky, designing and building a bird has really been an enjoyable continuing education.  I am still grading myself from F to C on building it.  Wishing I could see it fly someday, but maybe can't graduate from designers home school this time around.  Hoping that someone who thinks outside the box will finish it and wont have to break the bank accounts.  A very sweet wife who stays out of my shop but lets me do my things and makes the rest of my life very enjoyable has really helped.  Love her much!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
3 people like this