Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PSA: HUGE Kidde Fire Extinguisher Product Recall

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Public Service Announcement for my fellow AvidFoxFlyers:
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced a massive (almost 40 million) recall of Kidde manufactured fire extinguishers, sold from 1973 till this year, under Kidde and various other brands. This recall involves two styles of Kidde fire extinguishers: plastic handle fire extinguishers and push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers. Check the CPSC link below for full recall details. Better safe than sorry when it comes to these products.

Plastic handle fire extinguishers: The recall involves 134 models of Kidde fire extinguishers manufactured between January 1, 1973 and August 15, 2017, including models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and February 2015. The extinguishers were sold in red, white and silver, and are either ABC- or BC-rated. The model number is printed on the fire extinguisher label. For units produced in 2007 and beyond, the date of manufacture is a 10-digit date code printed on the side of the cylinder, near the bottom. Digits five through nine represent the day and year of manufacture in DDDYY format. Date codes for recalled models manufactured from January 2, 2012 through August 15, 2017 are 00212 through 22717. For units produced before 2007, a date code is not printed on the fire extinguisher.

Push-button Pindicator fire extinguishers: The recall involves eight models of Kidde Pindicator fire extinguishers manufactured between August 11, 1995 and September 22, 2017. The no-gauge push-button extinguishers were sold in red and white, and with a red or black nozzle. These models were sold primarily for kitchen and personal watercraft applications.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017...charge-and
1 person likes this

Posted

So what's the problem with them, Doug?

Posted

The fire extinguishers can become clogged or require excessive force to discharge and can fail to activate during a fire emergency. In addition, the nozzle can detach with enough force to pose an impact hazard.

I have eight (!) of these darn things, would hate to think I was prepared only to find otherwise in a real emergency. 

Posted

When I was working in "industry" we had to monthly go around and take every extinguisher off it's mount, turn it upside down, and beat on the tank with a rubber mallet to loosen the media inside.  Sounds to me like that is what needs to happen, but the lawyers determined that general public is too stupid to be trusted to do this.

1 person likes this

Posted

I dunno... guessing these Kidde consumer grade fire extinguishers are a lot less robust than commercial. They got plastic handles for chrissakes.

Posted

Replacement coming for the RV unit, thanks Doug!