Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tundra tire

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Is the largest tire that will fit a 6in rim a 22 in?

Posted (edited)

27" - 29"? - Maybe 31" unless I misunderstand what wheels are used, and too big, and too $pendy too, IMO.   The FAA finally cracked down on the larger than 36" on Cubs in Alaska - Large tires were blanking out tails (preventing flare?).   EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You can put a 31” Alaska Bushwheel in a 6” rim if you have 5 grand to blow on tires. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

30's work fine on Avids, that's what I have been using on mine for a few years now.  I am sure 31's would work as well.  Bushwheel went to 10" rims for the 35's.  The bigger tires do cut your climb and cruise as Joey mentioned in another post.  I started with the original 800's , then 21's, then 25" ATV tires, then 26" Bushwheels and now 30" Airstreaks.  The 26" Bushwheels or the 27" Dessers are pretty ideal for everything from rough stuff to sand and I intended to run them most of the time but I really want the 30's on when hunting and landing in unknown conditions; and it was just too much effort to change back and forth.  (I'm lazy).

Phat Tires 2.jpg

Tire Print.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid
2 people like this

Posted

SuberAvid man thats a sweet lookin bird there.  I like the pic of it we get to c once and awhile, hope my new KF build turns out that nice. 

Posted

Randy, when you are saying 30" do you mean the 29" Airstreaks?  i don't know of an actual 30" Bushwheel...

Posted

That looks awesome, but not in my budget

Posted

Larry,  They are the old Airstreaks, made by the Antique Tire and Rubber Company (no longer in business) and they are 30" x 13" x 6" rims.  AK Bushwheel is now using the name for their 29" tires.  Fortunately they still hold air and I have been coating them with rubber truck bed liner to try to maximize their life.  If you look around up here you can find some comparatively cheap ($400 to $600 a set) but they are usually pretty cracked up and will likely require polyurethane coating and slime to keep them alive and holding air.

Buckchop,  Thanks for the compliments on the plane, I'm sure your's will turn out great too.  It becomes like an old friend as you build a lot of experiences and great memories with it.  It is pretty incredible to have a machine that will get you out into just the most amazing and beautiful places ...and get you back, and is so much fun! There is nothing better than the KF/Avids, they are the ultimate aerial ATV's!

1 person likes this