Landing Gear Option

7 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.beringer-aero.com/en/products/alg-alaskan-landing-gear-35.htm

This sure looks like an option that could work very well on Avids and Kitfoxes.  Steve Henry is planning it on his latest build...

This is the same design philosophy I have been thinking about since the Super STOL came out as a way to "bolt on" a similar setup without being a cabine system.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Steve Henry is running this on his current Highlander. I got to see in action at High Sierra. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$6300 and that doesn’t count wheels and brakes. With Bushwheels you could spend $10k on this set up. Steve seems to really like it and he’s ran about everything out there. 

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Yes, a really nice setup, but very expensive!

Posted (edited)

The Beringer gear is being built for Cubs, which requires FAA engineers to sign off on design, research, and lots of testing to get an STC, which makes them a lot more expensive.  Maybe Steve can sell his for the Experimentals cheaper?    I had a Atlee Dodge STC HD tall Hydrosorb gear on my Maule and it was over $5K back in the 90's.  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

With a little ingenuity that system could be replicated by a competent fabricator with "off the shelf" motorcycle parts, I'd bet.

Posted (edited)

With a little ingenuity that system could be replicated by a competent fabricator with "off the shelf" motorcycle parts, I'd bet.

SnoGos and ATVs too - Maybe time to visit junk yards and look under Smart Cars and other minis?  My little Ford Ranger has those inflatable rubber load springs too.   "Whatever Works"!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

The Beringer gear is being built for Cubs, which requires FAA engineers to sign off on design, research, and lots of testing to get an STC, which makes them a lot more expensive.  Maybe Steve can sell his for the Experimentals cheaper?    I had a Atlee Dodge STC HD tall Hydrosorb gear on my Maule and it was over $5K back in the 90's.  EDMO 

I'm not sure that is the only reason, I get the feeling they price is based on how much they think they can possible squeeze out of us pilots... (someone who owns a plane must be rich, right?). Listen to this interview with the sales manager of Beringer... (start at 1min 40 sec) recorded Sep 2015:

Edited by FredStork
2 people like this