Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Savoring Winter

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Conditions were perfect again yesterday and I am not sure how much longer I will be able to get off of Wolf Lake on skis so I had to get out. Every ski flight from now on is a gift. I called up my buddy to see if his wife would give him a day pass and we headed out looking for someplace to go. He had spotted a bear den last weekend so we went to check it out; sure enough spotted 2 grizzlies sunning themselves on the south side of the canyon oposite the den. Flew up on top of little Beluga mountain and found a good landing spot. Sittin on top of the world! The one pic from behind my plane is looking out accross Cook Inlet toward the Kenai Mts. I figured Leni must be out doing the same thing. I wanted to check out a stream that runs into Beluga Lake for fishing in the summer so we flew to the lake and landed on the west end below Beluga glacier; absolutely beautiful. Found a fresh set of wolf tracks but no wolf. Took off and flew up the glacier before circling back across the Skwenta valley; Mt McKinnley and Foraker make a great backdrop for some air to air pics. Can't beat days like that!

post-75-12709287026868_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709287777578_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709288478405_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709289462512_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709290422696_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709291342851_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709291909857_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709292892992_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709294004345_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709294935881_thumb.jpg

Posted

A few more pics of the trip.

post-75-12709306033462_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709306859725_thumb.jpg

post-75-12709308621046_thumb.jpg

post-75-1270930924303_thumb.jpg

Posted

OK, so now I am the jealous one. I am stuck up here at work right now :lol: I get home Tuesday night, but will only be there for one week this time in. If I get a break, I will call you up and see if we can meet up someplace and go burn some sky!

:BC:

Posted

That sounds good!

Posted

As usual awesome pictures!! What is that little square zip tied to your left jury strut?

Posted

A few more pics of the trip.

Those are awesome pics, My wife wants to know what kind of camera you used to shoot those with.That is some big country up there, hope to make the trip from Idaho someday.Randy

Posted

Great pictures

If you would, post some pictures of your tail ski

Thanks

Bob

Posted

As usual awesome pictures!! What is that little square zip tied to your left jury strut?

The squares are just some pieces of foam sleeping pad zip tied in place since I always seem to be bungeeing fishing poles, gun boots, antlers, etc to the wing struts. It gives the wing struts a little protection. For the bigger stuff I put foam pipe insulation on the jury strut tubes as you can see in the pictures with the snow shoes showing.

Posted

Those are awesome pics, My wife wants to know what kind of camera you used to shoot those with.That is some big country up there, hope to make the trip from Idaho someday.Randy

Randy,

The camera is a little Nikon Coolpix S630. I have been really pleased with it; the battery lasts forever between charges; I mean for months and a hundred pictures between charges if not using the flash. It is a 12 megapixel with a 7X optical zoom and vibration reduction. It seems to work pretty good in the airplane with one handed shots.

I know Tom Selleck always called HI paradise; I happen to think it is AK on a perfect day. Where to go and what to do...with an airplane I haven't even scratched the surface! You will love it when you get a chance to come up. I'm sure if you fly up, that will be an awsome experience too, although clearing through Canada is a pain now from what I have heard. Hope to get to meet you up here someday soon!

Randy

Posted

Great pictures

If you would, post some pictures of your tail ski

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

The best pictures are from Brett at Airdale that he sent to Jackak, attached here.

Randy

post-75-12710446716783_thumb.jpg

post-75-12710447319792_thumb.jpg

post-75-12710449274195_thumb.jpg