Luga / Kool / "NR" Propellers

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

With invaluable real world data from Steve Henry, I compiled my notes on Luga Props and posted over in the Yamaha Group.

Here's a link if anyone was interested in more info on these props:

(Sorry for the crazy link!)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/164864990778457?tsid=0.8971326441795155&source=result#!/groups/164864990778457?view=permalink&id=170939870170969&refid=18&_ft_=qid.6497219603532325215%3Amf_story_key.170939870170969%3Atop_level_post_id.170939870170969%3Atl_objid.170939870170969&__tn__=*s*s-R

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

This is what the guy that I posted pics from was running. Kind of interesting purchase process it sounded like. Money order...email...hope you get something back in return type of deal.

Posted (edited)

This is what the guy that I posted pics from was running. Kind of interesting purchase process it sounded like. Money order...email...hope you get something back in return type of deal.

Yeah, blindly sending money overseas has some risk!

Luckily steve and copro have good feedback in dealing with Luga.

By the way,  Air Trikes rebrands the Luga under "Kool", and some refer to the luga as an "NR prop", presumably the initails of the invetor (Nick Roman)

So:

LUGA = KOOL = NR Prop

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Updated some info on Luga / Kool.

Also learned that Air Trikes offers an IFA hub for some prop models.  Anyone have experience with the IFA Kool / Luga?

Posted

I had to check the link out.  are they seriously only good for 600 hrs?  Whats the price on these props?

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I haven't heard of anyone who has run the ifa version.  Looking for reviews.

The Kool rebrand through airtikes is a bit more $ than if you order direct from ukraine.

Price from Luga direct (Ukraine ) for a 72" 3 blade scimitar  L 107 with a groumd adj. hub was about $640 (shipped) last time I inquired. 

I am told the weight of that prop with metal le protection and the hub is under 8 lbs!

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

I had to check the link out.  are they seriously only good for 600 hrs?  Whats the price on these props?

I take that as warranty 1 year/600 hours.

2 people like this

Posted

If "Luga" is the same as "Kool" (name/owner change maybe?) the following link might be of interest: http://www.stolspeed.com/id/62 

1 person likes this

Posted

The big tire Rans and Just guys in the Western US are sure raving about Luga/Kool right now. 

Posted

Anybody know of any on a direct drive Jabiru? I would rather not be the test plane but sure like the looks

Posted

I have not heard back from Luga it has bean a week. Maybe I should re-mail.

Posted

I have not heard back from Luga it has bean a week. Maybe I should re-mail.

I got interested as well (had planned to go for a Kiev prop) so I mailed Russia for a proposal. I'll keep you updated if I get any response...

Posted

Just finished my order with roman at luga here this week via email...  jared maybe resend it to him.

Posted

Hello, I just ordered a Koolprop (Lugaprop?) from Vassili @ http://www.airtrikes.net/introduction.shtml 

I am replacing my inflight adjustable Warp drive/GSC gta hub combination.

I ordered the scimitar shaped model, 2 bladed as I find it much more convenient to fold my wings that way (avid Catalina). I did some lengthy investigating/ reading for the 2 vs 3 blade debate especially for the rotax 912. In the end it seems it comes down to the looks of your prop more that anything else (also second by the Sensenich guys I questioned about this). The 3 bladed prop is better for the 2 smokers as it tends to reduce vibrations. The 912 is pretty smooth and does not need it as much...

Also it seems fuel economy can be made with the 2 bladed prop (better efficiency). Last and not least, there is some weight saving in favour of the 2 blades. 

To ad an other info I found about the blade shape (e props,scimitar, sabre, straight etc...) it seems that the scimitar shape is best suited for pusher applications in slower flying aircrafts. (I know there are some fast overpowered turboprops out there with scimitar blades like the saab2000....another subject all together)

As soon as I have flown with my new Koolprop I will give you some feedback :)

Cheeeers

P6150001a.jpg

images.jpeg

3 people like this

Posted

Now im confused which don't take much, I emailed Luga and got an email back from from hoverhawk corporation saying we recommend a warpdrive propeller. along with this list Hoverhawk Corporation
www.Hoverhawk.com
www.WarpDriveProps.com
www.UltraProps.com
www.BollyPropellers.com

Posted

???

Hmmm.

I've been using the address:

lugaprop@ukr.net 

Posted

I had heard that the owner was trying to operate sort of below the radar........lots of publicity lately. 

Posted

A little update....

as we are nearing christmas I thought I'll get myself an even bigger present....I've been good. Soooo after much debate with Vassili from Koolprop I bought not only the 2 bladed propeller...but I also bought a 3rd blade and I have him send me a loaner 3 blade hub. The thinking here is that I will first set up a 2 bladed version, fly it and then install the 3 bladed version and see if that really makes a difference. If the 2 bladed prop works well (that's what a I prefer) I will send back the 3 bladed hub and keep the 3rd blade as a spare. If the 3 bladed is better....I'll send back the 2 bladed hub.....

Does this make any sense????

1 person likes this

Posted

Good plan Flywise!

Were you trying  IFA hubs or ground adjustable?

Posted

I have decided, after many Hrs reading on it, to change from my IFA 2 bladed to a fixed pitch prop/ground adjustable. This decision came for a couple of reasons....first, the inflight adjustable systems are a bit heavier and need more maintenance, have a shorter life. In my case I had a couple of over speeds because of a badly designed / weak bracket on my mechanically adjustable prop control system (from the cockpit to the engine I need a 12 Ft long control cable system). All those "cheap" inflight adjustable props (this excludes the expensive hydraulic constant speed systems using a prop speed governor) will naturally go to full fine in case of failure which will overspeed your expensive rotax 912 engine in a fraction of a second, usually on take off.

The main advantages of inflight adjustable props are to get the best for take off performance and get best speed when cruising (nothing new there).

For my application on the Catalina, the IFA prop has not much/nothing to gain in the top speed range (all I see is manifold pressure increasing....speed not so much), the Catalina being "barn door" aerodynamic with a high lift high drag wing profile. With my IFA prop the T/O is very short at 5800Rpm/fine pitch (at this setting I have to watch like a hawk to not overspeed) but if I coarsen my pitch to 5600Rpm on T/O it hardly makes a difference for me (1/2 - 1 sec more time to get out the water).........hence my decision to shave some weight (~6 Lbs) and keep it simple when I need to be quick on the throttle

The IFA prop is great if you are doing rough field/extreem short field T/O or competition though

I believe I can set the ground adjustable prop for very good take-off performance and not loose much/anything in cruise. .........I will report and confirm this.

Cheeeers

2 people like this

Posted

Just finished my order with roman at luga here this week via email...  jared maybe resend it to him.

Did they give you a lead time? I have sent multiple e-mails the same one you posted and still have not heard back, maybe I will try my wife's computer, or order two and I will send you money. :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Jared,

I am ordering through the Canadian reseller called Vassili    http://www.airtrikes.net/introduction.shtml       as far as I have been able to find out, he buys lugaprops and re-brands them as Koolprop. I don't care and I find it easier this way rather than learn russian or Ukranian and wait a very long time......

My prop, after payment was shipped next day......should be here in about 5 days (canada post still uses donkey's to move across the country)

Hope this helps

P.s what's the price you were quoted? I got 3 scimitar blades (69in), 2 hubs (2 bladed/3bladed), a spinner assembly and the different accessories including shipping and taxes for 1650 usd

Posted

Did they give you a lead time? I have sent multiple e-mails the same one you posted and still have not heard back, maybe I will try my wife's computer, or order two and I will send you money. :lmao:

Yeah right now I'm the guinea pig LOL!

$870 off to a foreign bank...

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.  Last communique he said mid-late Jan for delivery.

Posted

Hey Jared,

I am ordering through the Canadian reseller called Vassili    http://www.airtrikes.net/introduction.shtml       as far as I have been able to find out, he buys lugaprops and re-brands them as Koolprop. I don't care and I find it easier this way rather than learn russian or Ukranian and wait a very long time......

My prop, after payment was shipped next day......should be here in about 5 days (canada post still uses donkey's to move across the country)

Hope this helps

P.s what's the price you were quoted? I got 3 scimitar blades (69in), 2 hubs (2 bladed/3bladed), a spinner assembly and the different accessories including shipping and taxes for 1650 usd

I have not been quoted anything because I cant get a hold of them. I will try your contact, and see how they compare to Yamaha foxs quote. I think he was going to get a 3 blade 79in with extra two blade spinner and hub

Posted

The air trikes resell is a few more bucks, but it might be worth it for an easier deal.

870 was for the 3 blade prop and one hub  only.   Extra 2 blade hub was 260 more.  Spinner was like 300.  So you can see you dont really save all that much.

I see greg mills advertising now as a luga reseller and I encouraged steve henry to do the same... especially since he paid big up front for the one off 79" prop which we all benefit from.  IMO he should have exclusive sell right to that prop in N America.

A few dealers would get those props more exposure, availability, and help settle things to a fair price.  I think it is a good thing.

I'd have rather bought from Steve but he told me to go direct because he's such a nice guy and because he hadn't worked a deal out with Roman yet.

But the nice guy shouldn't be finishing last IMO!

1 person likes this