Luga / Kool / "NR" Propellers

79 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys.....at last I have been able to take-off..it's funny but since I got the prop it has been terrible weather (snow, storm, showers etc..), it was hard to wait.

So here my first flights using the Lugaprop/Koolprop in the 3 bladed and 2 bladed configuration (same diameter/69in). On the day of the flight I have not been able (not enough time) to fine tune the pitch for best performance and hence the actual figures are not comparable. Below are my first impressions for you after one flight with each setup..

In favour of the 3 bladed prop:

More t/o thrust (water t/o in 6 secs),

slightly smoother and for some..sexy look

In favour of the 2 bladed prop:

different nicer noise in flight (lower pitch sound) ..remember I have a pusher configuration with exhaust gasses going through the prop,

easier engine start (and starter motor turns faster),

low idle smoother (less/no chatter of the gears below 1800Rpm),

quicker engine response when going from idle to full power,

much lighter (2.5 vs 4.4 Kg) with less moment of inertia (2800 vs 4500)..

The fixed pitch Lugaprop compared to my IFA warp drive is able to provide as good t/o performance and even better cruise speed. I must say that my 2 bladed Warp drive was not able to absorb all the power as it was designed for 80Hp, not for 95Hp....

Next time I will have the data to compare the props more scientifically.

Cheeeers

3 people like this

Posted

As far as my research on the scimitar shape, I found that it runs smoother and quieter, cruises very slightly more efficiently, and has better trans-sonic properties if you were to get the tip speed above .89 mach.  Downside is that it has a little less static pull.

So I decided to go a little longer scimitar than I would have gone with a straight blade  (to regain lost thrust) that will turn with higher tip speeds... but it should be able to handle that better.

Thanks. I choose thrust out of the hole I think.  Smooth is nice though.  Hard to tell.  At least with the Luga you can kind of afford to try both blade shapes on the same hub and whatnot. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the update - I was just about to ask.... 

you mention 95 hp, what engine do you have? I’m currently using short 3 blade warp drive that worked well mith my old and tired 532 but don’t give what I expect from my 92hp Simonini.

please keep posting your impressions and kool experience

Posted

Thanks for the update - I was just about to ask.... 

you mention 95 hp, what engine do you have? I’m currently using short 3 blade warp drive that worked well mith my old and tired 532 but don’t give what I expect from my 92hp Simonini.

please keep posting your impressions and kool experience

I'm just guessing Fred but I think that the 912ULS only transmits 95hp to the propeller.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi guys, I have the 912 UL / 80Hp fitted with the Xtra Kit (other pistons increasing compression to 11:1). The Xtra kit manufacturer claims 95 Hp.....

http://www.craftworks.biz/pistonsite/912sales.htm

Cheeers

Posted

Any further feedback to share? I know this is not the period we fly the most, nor is it the best time to judge aerodynamic performance as anything will perform better in the cold air...but still, we are very keen to learn more about this prop...

Fred

Posted

No flying yet on my new prop, but it sure is a work of art!   79" SL-118 3 balde:

20180225_162622.jpg

Posted

Still having my engine looked over......no engine no prop turning :(

Posted

I sent or an email yesterday and got a response from them.  I stated that I was using the IVO IFA and what did they suggest for best STOL performance with the 582.  Vassili said the 71" 3 blade saber blade would give me better performance than the IVO.  Now I am tossing around the idea of getting this prop to try out.  So many irons in the fire right now and so little time to play is making me a grumpy boy.  Has anyone flown an IVO and then Luga / Kool prop and have any info to share on the performance differences?

:BC:

Posted

Any updates or second thoughts on the Luga/Kool- or-whatever-they-are-called-today props before I place my order?

It looks like I will be going for a Scimitar SL107-1820 3 blade (with the actual diameter of 1840...).
620 euro including shipping and hub... I think I will be able to reuse my current spinner that I have for my Warp Drive...

Go, no-go?

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Fred.   I havent flown my Luga yet but did the same upgrade from a 72" warp, so FWIW my answer was "Go".

And I've been in contact with a few people who have gone with Luga and I sure haven't heard anyone say they regretted it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Order placed for a Scimitar SL107 3 blade...

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Good thing is:   Now you got someone to  blame (me) if you are the first one that doesn't like it!   LOL 

I'm not worried... I'm an expert at taking the blame for everything, but am sure you'll love it at first sight and first flight! ;)

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this

Posted

Good thing is:   Now you got someone to  blame (me) if you are the first one that doesn't like it!   LOL 

I'm not worried... I'm an expert at taking the blame for everything, but am sure you'll love it at first sight and first flight! ;)

that was my thought - if my wife ever find out what it cost... 

1 person likes this

Posted

My Scimitar SL107 3-blades arrived today. It looks great, can't wait to try it! Very sexy prop!

It took longer than expected... there is a monetary embargo for Europe on Ukraine so my bank rejected my initial transfer. And as my bank appears to be incompetent they didn't know why the transfer, done on the web, was rejected and pretended I had used an incorrect account number... With Roman we found a solution - and my bank messed up again (did I say there were incompetent?). Well, we got that straighten out and now the prop is here.

I'll keep you updated on my prop experience but it might take a few days.

Posted

I believe that the overall prop diameter on some propeller models is adjusted by having different shape / size prop hubs, the blades remain the same.....I do not have proof of this though, to be taken with a grain of salt.

Love mysteries

I can confirm this is correct, the final diameter depend on the number of blades, i.e. in the hub

Posted

I am really looking forward hearing from you doing your flight testing...

At last my rebuilt engine is back on the mount..should be ready to start this week :) and thennnn flying with 20 more horses with my Koolprop

P1110112.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Bye-bye Warp Drive...!

I just had the time for a very short test flight after mounting the prop and doing some initial adjustements - I still need to increase the pitch slightly. So no performance feedback, just a very first impression. Runs very smooth (and as the warp drive is already a smooth prop..) and it is noticeably quiet. I guess that is the swiped tips compared to warp drives straight cut tips... I hopefully have more to share after the weekend.

It is a mean looking prop...

image.thumb.jpeg.52979a09f7230cc9ad0ad49

Fred

Edited by FredStork
2 people like this

Posted

Fred,

That looks great! Bryce 

Posted

Second impression... 

I’m re-naming it to the “Wow prop”... Going from a too small warp drive I have gained 700-1000 RPM on my regular cruise speed and 20+ km/h on maximum speed... As I’m not looking to fly much faster it will be interesting to compare the fuel consumption - but I need more than the 1,5 hours I got today...

To be followed 

Fred

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Could not resist making a very short film: Changing prop...

Edited by FredStork
4 people like this

Posted

Brilliant Fred..wish I could "fix" everything like that :)

Posted (edited)

Could not resist making a very short film: Changing prop...

Dang Fred... guess us guys over on this side of the "pond" haven't evolved into that "Star Trek" level of maintenance practice yet!!   :unsure:

I need you to bring some of that kinda magic over to help with my motor change!!

:)

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Just an update here on feedback from people who have bought direct from Nick in Romania (see early posts in this topic for order process):

Everyone I have talked with has had a good experience and a prop shipped promptly.  The only small complaint I've heard is that, rarely, Nick can be a little slow on returning emails.

Today a friend called and told me that there was a slight defect (delamination) on the trailing edge of one of his blades. He had a buddy who spoke Russian and they called Nick up to ask how to repair that, but Nick told him that he would ship him 3 new blades that very day... and only asked that my friend ("Yooper Ed" here in the forum) send his three blades back to Nick.

Pretty dang good customer service report there!

I remember I was a little hesitant to send a money order blindly overseas, but so far it has worked out well for everyone.

1 person likes this