Luga / Kool / "NR" Propellers

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is some information that might be of general, or even specific, interest...

Happy about my new prop I was bragging about it (i.e. showing my film) in the STOL Europe Facebook group - where someone asked if it was a Meglin prop... When replying it was a NR prop someone else explained that Meglin and NR prop cooperates and that it is actually Meglin making the saber shaped blades and NR the classic blades. So far this could sound like an internal Ukrainian matter but when reviewing the Meglin website (http://propeller.simplesite.com/) I found this:  i282319414656794789._szw1280h1280_.thumb

The price is said to be very competitive but I have not dared to ask... 

Edited by FredStork
2 people like this

Posted

I love it....but for my setup the weight (because of my rear c of g) is the deal breaker....Also If you consider how "draggy" Avids are I believe you will not gain much/any top speed. It's only good for shorter t/o and better climb rate...not sure it's worth it.

In the end someone with a slippery / aerodynamic & fast aircraft should have a VP prop so as to get the best performance on t/o and at high cruise speeds (hardly possible with a ground adjustable prop)....but for us the advantages are somewhat minimal if you have a good fixed pitch prop well adjusted.

My 2 cents

1 person likes this

Posted

I love it....but for my setup the weight (because of my rear c of g) is the deal breaker....Also If you consider how "draggy" Avids are I believe you will not gain much/any top speed. It's only good for shorter t/o and better climb rate...not sure it's worth it.

In the end someone with a slippery / aerodynamic & fast aircraft should have a VP prop so as to get the best performance on t/o and at high cruise speeds (hardly possible with a ground adjustable prop)....but for us the advantages are somewhat minimal if you have a good fixed pitch prop well adjusted.

My 2 cents

If I am pitched for takeoff on floats and leave it there, I loose about 8-10 MPH on the cruise.  Not quite as noticeable on wheels or skis.  I am pretty tired of my IVO issues with the motors quitting working etc so I am leaning really heavy towards the LUGA.  I love the IFA when it works, but when it doesn't which now seems to be more often than not, I hate it.  What ever you had dialed in before it stopped working your stuck with.  I think for 90% of my flying I will be happy with a good ground adjust prop.  Worst case, if I am going long distance but find myself needing to get out short of the area I am currently in, I can pitch for take off and live with it till I get to a longer strip then I can set down and adjust for better cruise.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree Leni, but like I've said before, I just want a VPP that goes to reverse so I can show off and back up on the water!  :)

2 people like this