Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

avid cooling

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Guys I have asked about cooling in the past on my avid B. I have the mk 4 cheek rad set up with a 582 and during the  heat of texas summer Aug/Sept. I am having to watch my temps pretty hard especially with 2 on board. I bought a belly rad from TJ but have not put it on. I was looking at plumbing etc and thought that for 2 months out of the year maybe its not worth it. I do like the look without the belly rad. I cam across a post in another plane site unrelated to avids and found these giant rc aluminum louvers. The site was using these to increase exit volume for an aircooled vw engine and supposedly worked. I was wondering about putting one on each side of the cowl or under the cowl infront of the exit lip. With the opening each louver would give an additional 16+/- inches of exit volume that may draw more air through the radiators. What are opinions on this?. Originally I was trying to plumb both the cheek and belly rad and was running into issues trying to plumb them both. If I do the belly rad after all I just wonder how it will look with two big empty holes up front in the cowl without the cheek rads.

Mark

Posted

Not sure if you did it already, but it's very important that incoming air isn't allowed to go past the radiators.  A good seal between the edges of the radiators and the cowl is essential if you are flying in higher temps.  Not really answering your question, but that's the first thing to make sure of.  JImChuk

Posted

Ya Jim I have foam surrounding the rads and at least on the ground doesn't appear to have any sealing issues. Temps above 85-90 OAT will push water temp to about 175-177 in cruise with two people. Solo it drop to about 170-173. The exhaust pipe takes up much of the exit opening and I wonder if more opening would allow more flow through the rads. That is the reason behind looking at the louvers.   http://www.taildraggerrc.com/cooling-vent-louvers/ . These are the louvers I am talking about

Posted (edited)

Ya Jim I have foam surrounding the rads and at least on the ground doesn't appear to have any sealing issues. Temps above 85-90 OAT will push water temp to about 175-177 in cruise with two people. Solo it drop to about 170-173. The exhaust pipe takes up much of the exit opening and I wonder if more opening would allow more flow through the rads. That is the reason behind looking at the louvers.   http://www.taildraggerrc.com/cooling-vent-louvers/ . These are the louvers I am talking about

Any possibility of putting fans behind the rads?  How do you check water pump flow?   DMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

If your gauge is accurate, I wouldn't worry about 170 degrees at 85 F with 2 people on board.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

If your gauge is accurate, I wouldn't worry about 170 degrees at 85 F with 2 people on board.  JImChuk

I don't knowwhere Gainesville is, but I thought 85F was winter temps down there?  I've only been in Texas in the summer and for the wheat harvest, and it was a lot hotter than that!    ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

On the recommendation of another guy on this forum, I found that green solution that they sell for car radiators that makes the water wetter actually work (Hy-Per Lube Radiator Additive). I replaced my coolant 50% mix with pure water and added this stuff and I was 20 degrees cooler (still not perfect in 100 deg weather, but much closer.

3.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe try aluminum besides foam? I’d try water wetter and an 80/20 water mix if you are never flying in cold weather. Lots and lots of MK4s out there flying in stockish form.

A5C51DE9-C6A9-48A6-8AAA-C16D9FDD8BCC.jpeg

7E527079-2574-4547-982B-DD11E2612700.jpeg