Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

615 kts groundspeed

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Last night we were told to get our jet home as quickly as possible after we were done offloading our gas. We pushed the ol DC-10 up and hauled some ass and burned some gas. I snapped a pic of my performance page in the Flight Management System. 517kts True at 29,000ft running Mach .86 With the 94kt tailwind we were running 615 kts across the ground or 707 mph! I’ve only seen a higher speed a handful of times in 6500 hrs. 

993C094F-CC70-4C9F-9251-0C526930AD34.jpeg

Posted (edited)

You can thank the Admirals who started the CAA boat rules for making your speeds in knots - same for Red Port light and Green Starboard.  If Henry Ford would have been on the board you would do mph, white headlights and red taillight.   The Europeans would have you doing Kilometers "Clicks" - That would be an even higher number.   :<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You can thank the Admirals who started the CAA boat rules for making your speeds in knots - same for Red Port light and Green Starboard.  If Henry Ford would have been on the board you would do mph, white headlights and red taillight.   The Europeans would have you doing Kilometers "Clicks" - That would be an even higher number.   :<)   EDMO

we're all metric here Ed but still us feet and knots when flying.I guess it's all about international standards 

But they can never force us to fly nose wheel :lmao:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

You're right Dusty.   Do you also still drive a 1917 Model T Ford?  Progress has been made over the last 100 years - Well, at least for some of us!  ;<)   Ask Joey how many taildraggers the Air Force has compared to nosedraggers.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I caught this picture while climbing out this week in our Lear45. 646 knots or 743mph

Not the fastest I have seen but the only picture so far.

fullsizeoutput_ad8.jpeg

Edited by btjenkins
2 people like this