Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Kitfox owner in WA

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey all,

I joined just a week ago once I purchased my Kitfox 1 project. This forum has been a huge help already as I'm prepping to trailer the fox from Burley, ID to my school in Moses Lake, WA. It'll be about a 600 mile trip and I'm doing my best to learn from other's journeys to get the bird back in one piece. I'm in my final quarter of A&P school and will be using the majority of it restoring the Model 1 to get it back in the air. 10 years ago on landing the plane veered off a dirt road, took out the left main gear, damaged the wingtip, and the prop struck. It's been in a garage ever since. I got a pretty good deal on it and with the money saved I'll be able to overhaul the 582, get a new IVO prop, and all the other things that'll inevitably pop up. I can't wait to get it back in the air and use my new skills and knowledge gained from A&P school to do so.

I've been a pilot most of my adult life but haven't flown regularly since 2012. So I'm hoping with an economical plane like the fox I'll be in the air much more now. I've grown to greatly appreciate experimental aircraft ever since I worked at Glasair Aviation for 4 years helping to build Sportsman 2+2 aircraft with customers. It's been a dream of mine to build my own someday but this is a great first step to that dream.

Thanks everyone for all the insight and friendly atmosphere here on the forum. I look forward to sharing and conversing once I finally have the fox. I'll be sure to document the move as well.

-Brandon

20171207_083604_24032265927_o.jpg

KFAD3.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Brandon,  Welcome to the forum.  Congrats on becoming part of the Fox family.  I'm sure you will find lots of help on here.  The only thing I want to caution you on right now is to use wing supports on the front - probably good to close off the ribs there too, make sure your wings are secured good at the tail, put some gust locks on rudder and elevator, and make a support so your tail don't sit on the tailspring.  Tie it down 2X the amount you think it needs.   Hope you have a good trip home.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

Brandon,  Welcome to the forum.  Congrats on becoming part of the Fox family.  I'm sure you will find lots of help on here.  The only thing I want to caution you on right now is to use wing supports on the front - probably good to close off the ribs there too, make sure your wings are secured good at the tail, put some gust locks on rudder and elevator, and make a support so your tail don't sit on the tailspring.  Tie it down 2X the amount you think it needs.   Hope you have a good trip home.   EDMO

Yeah, I'm working on the gust locks tonight and I'm thinking cardboard, shrink wrap, and tape for the wing roots. It looks like good weather for the trip so I'm going to try to avoid using tarps and shrink wrap as much as possible to prevent chaffing and such.

Posted

Nice Bird there I like seeing some model 1's getting rebuilt that is one of the models that started it all.

You went to A&P school? How long of a process is that? I would love to rebuild the bigger birds.

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice Bird there I like seeing some model 1's getting rebuilt that is one of the models that started it all.

You went to A&P school? How long of a process is that? I would love to rebuild the bigger birds.

I'm at a college so the quickest way I could do it in is 18 months. It's 6 quarters long which equals a little over the 1900 hrs of instruction and lab work required by the FAA. With testing, books, and tuition it'll cost me about $9,000 which includes a scholarship and Federal grant money. All that to start out in a $12 to $15/hr entry level AMT job, yeehaw. Well you don't go into aviation for the money, that's for sure. 

Posted (edited)

I'm at a college so the quickest way I could do it in is 18 months. It's 6 quarters long which equals a little over the 1900 hrs of instruction and lab work required by the FAA. With testing, books, and tuition it'll cost me about $9,000 which includes a scholarship and Federal grant money. All that to start out in a $12 to $15/hr entry level AMT job, yeehaw. Well you don't go into aviation for the money, that's for sure. 

It took me 3 years going full time at University of Alaska to get my AMT degree - got A&P by taking tests which AMT courses prepared me for.  The BIG planes supervisors are always trying to cut corners, or get you to do it, and there is too much liability IMO - FBO or "on call" mechanic is a lot more enjoyable than working for Corporations.   Experience will get you to IA rating to do in$pections and annual update meetings to stay current.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

18 months isn't an option in my life quite yet. But i will keep it as a dream for now. Thanks for the info.

Posted

Welcome to the forum! I’d say you did pretty good on that project price wide. Get in touch with NorthIdahoAvidFlyer he is the Spokane area and just brought an Avid back to life that was sitting for years. After you get it back on it’s feet the FWF and fuel system will require the most attention. Keep us updated with your progress! 

Posted

welcome to the dark side!  We are a bunch of misfits and outcasts that love to have fun and help others get in the air.  Nice looking bird!  For pure fun of flying, these early models are hard to beat!  Keep it light and they are awesome performers.

:BC:

Posted

Welcome to the Group Brodstol. I'm in Post Falls, Idaho and would love to help any way I can. I'll send you a Private message with my contact information. I'll be flying out your way this spring. I have a hangar in Lind, Wa.

Posted

welcome to the dark side!  We are a bunch of misfits and outcasts that love to have fun and help others get in the air.  Nice looking bird!  For pure fun of flying, these early models are hard to beat!  Keep it light and they are awesome performers.

:BC:

I'm planning on going on a diet for that much more performance lol

Posted

Welcome to the Group Brodstol. I'm in Post Falls, Idaho and would love to help any way I can. I'll send you a Private message with my contact information. I'll be flying out your way this spring. I have a hangar in Lind, Wa.

Great thanks, I hope to have it flying by then so let's be in touch.

Posted

Well as quick as I had an airplane, I now don't. The seller messaged me yesterday that they put an 8" tear in the wing while getting the garage clear.  From no log books, to it be involved in an accident/prop strike and sitting for 10 plus years, I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Sure I could repair it but I got a feeling this was going to become more of a project plane than a flying one. So I opted out of the deal and now I am Kitfoxless :( Thanks to everyone for the support and words of wisdom. I'm still looking for the right Fox/Avid and I'll be sure to keep lurking on the forum since you're a good bunch.

Posted

Well as quick as I had an airplane, I now don't. The seller messaged me yesterday that they put an 8" tear in the wing while getting the garage clear.  From no log books, to it be involved in an accident/prop strike and sitting for 10 plus years, I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Sure I could repair it but I got a feeling this was going to become more of a project plane than a flying one. So I opted out of the deal and now I am Kitfoxless :( Thanks to everyone for the support and words of wisdom. I'm still looking for the right Fox/Avid and I'll be sure to keep lurking on the forum since you're a good bunch.

an 8" rip in the fabric is less than an hour to repair.  a couple hours if you want to try and blend the paint. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I hear its 2 minutes with duck tape:)

if its a buyers remorse thing then by all means do what you need to but in all honesty with a project that size you wouldn't even notice the extra time if would take to re do both wings.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I hear its 2 minutes with duck tape:)

if its a buyers remorse thing then by all means do what you need to but in all honesty with a project that size you wouldn't even notice the extra time if would take to re do both wings.

Covering is only about 10% of building, and probably the most satisfying part of the job - Getting paint on puts the smile on your face.   An 8" tear is not even as bad as a parking lot scratch on your car.  Joey thought you were getting a good deal on the plane?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah I got cold feet, I'm second guessing my decision but remember the 8" tear wasn't the dealbreaker but rather the option (since they damaged the airplane) to get out the deal since I had given a deposit a week ago. There were a lot of risks that could make a $3500 base project turn out to be much more, so I went with the safe choice and backed out. I'm sure I'll regret it someday...

1 person likes this

Posted

there is lots more out there

1 person likes this

Posted

There’s a Kitfox 2 that just popped up in Colfax. 

1 person likes this

Posted

There’s a Kitfox 2 that just popped up in Colfax. 

yeah i saw that. The ad makes it seem like the engine had a failure to warrant the need for overhaul or replacement. 

Posted

Rotax Rick will give you a great deal on a rebuilt one if you have one to trade in. I know of a sweet one in Lewiston too but not sure if he wants to sell. He hasn’t flown it in 2 years.