BRS on an Avid

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a chance to buy a Soft Pack BRS 750. The rocket is good until 4/25. Does any of you have a BRS mounted in your Mark IV and if so where do you have the parachute mounted, where do the straps run and where do you have the ends of the straps anchored?

Posted

Way too small?  750 = gross weight?

i had a BRS 1200 on the Mangy. Got rid of it. Not worth the effort. 

Posted (edited)

Damn it! Thank you. I assumed it was based off of total weight not gross. I guess that makes perfect sense 

Edited by NorthIdahoAvidflyer

Posted

no need to carry the weight, just fly and enjoy.  if it turns out to be your final flight then at least you went out doing something you loved.  Beats getting hit by a bus on a cross walk.

:BC:

3 people like this

Posted

AK,  I agree 100 percent, better than Alzheimer's,or  suffering through a bout of the big C ,fortunately I'm a survivor!!!

3 people like this

Posted

I have to agree 100%. I tell my wife all the time that I’d rather screw an airplane into the ground than be stuck in a retirement home.  My Grandfather got ran over by a car and my Father-in-Law died in a nursing home. I’ll like mine quick a hopefully painless. 

1 person likes this

Posted

You know, I really agree with the feelings on this post, and am too cheap to spend $6000 on a BRS, but OTOH, what a great story you could tell about coming down on that silly chute!

Posted (edited)

You know, I really agree with the feelings on this post, and am too cheap to spend $6000 on a BRS, but OTOH, what a great story you could tell about coming down on that silly chute!

Seems a shame to waste all the time and money you spent on dead-stick landings, picking a field, etc.  I don't know what the vertical speed would be, but guess all the vertical landing pressure would be on your spine, maybe a lot harder than a helicopter autorotation, and maybe no control over where the landing would be.  The only use I see for them is a mid-air collision or breakup, and that landing don't last long!  I would rather try to glide in, wiping out whatever in a forward motion, like one of my instructors who did the textbook thing finding two trees on a ridge he couldn't clear and taking both wings off of a 172 and walked away.   My 2c worth.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

Hello all

i have the second chantz mounted in my avid. The way I see it in my location with the mountains we need to navigate over, thru around, I would rather have the opportunity to pull that T handle and ride her out to the bottom when the prop quits turning or the airframe has some sort of failure.

if you would like some photos of the mounting and cable connection area I can get them tomorrow.

regards Joe

1 person likes this

Posted

EDMO, I really agree, the landing speed we have is so slow it is almost like the wings are our BRS.

But Jwhetnall, I also think it up to each of us to assess the risk and get a solution. I know I spend a lot of time spotting one field and then the next, and a chute could relax me a bit! I looked up Second Chantz but the web site seems dead.

Posted

No doubt about it, if a wing came off, all of us would be wishing we had as chute.  I've made 4 landings I hadn't planned, never felt that I wished I had a chute just then.  One of those was when I had the cockpit full of smoke and I thought I was on fire.  I was in more of a rush to get to the ground just then, and the last thing I would have done is fire the chute if I had it that time.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I think that the majority of fatal accidents in an avid or a kitfox is probably the departure stall / spin.  Having been there and done that I can promise that when that happens you have about 1/100th of a new York second to have the oh shit thought flash through your mind then you are eating dirt.  I would seriously doubt that you could pull the chute and have it you do it any good.  An engine out at any time other than a HARD climb out on take off or dragging it in way nose high on landing and well behind the power curve is pretty much a non event.  I would rather have big tires than a chute.  I know of a lot of planes that could have been saved had they been on big tires when they sat down in fresh plowed fields or rutted terrain. 

Inflight break ups are so rare that if that's is your worry you should probably stay in bed and hide under the covers.  Your more likely to get killed by snow falling off your roof and breaking your neck.  Engine outs over hostile terrain.  I fly over some pretty mean shit on a regular basis.  I would rather take a chance on flying it controlled into a rocky valley than to ride down a chute with no control and shove a nasty peak straight up my butt.  Again, these are only my thoughts and opinions and that plus 6 bucks will get you a cup of coffee these days.  I would rather not carry the extra weight of the BRS so I can haul more beer out to my favorite fishing spot and haul more fish back home the next day. :lol:

:BC:

3 people like this