Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New member, new project. Flaperon linkage question

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all. I'm new to this group. I bought a MK IV unfinished kit a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. I'm in A&P school and have my Airframe cert. Looking forward to getting to know some of you. I'm in Southern Idaho, by the way. One quick question. The linkage for the flaperon lever drags on the bottom of the seat. (Actually, it pushes up against the seat when you push the lever down). Also, the tube is bent in a curve downward. I've adjusted the seat a bit by loosening and tightening the tie cords, but it still drags. Is the control lever supposed to snap over center when pushed down, or is it just held in place by the friction device? Any suggestions? My seat is a padded sling type. I assume it came with the kit. I'm not home right now, so I don't have any pics. Thanks.

Posted

if its hitting you need to tighten up the seat.  if does not go over center, you will probably need to put a stop on it so you cant push it down too far.  I have had the sling and fiberglass seat in mine and if it hits, you are way over traveling it.  Do you have the manual for it that shows how to adjust it?  If not, it is available for download on this site :)

:BC:

Posted

if its hitting you need to tighten up the seat.  if does not go over center, you will probably need to put a stop on it so you cant push it down too far.  I have had the sling and fiberglass seat in mine and if it hits, you are way over traveling it.  Do you have the manual for it that shows how to adjust it?  If not, it is available for download on this site :)

:BC:

Just adding to what akflyer said above:  Some members have replaced the (whatever Avid supplied?) friction washer with leather, and others have made detent stop mechanism to give them positive stops at different degrees of flaperon settings.  I don't know where the posts are.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

I took the padding out of the middle of the seat between pilot and the passenger. This gives you a little more room and doesn't restrict the flaps. You could epoxy a small wood ball to the end of your flap handle.

Edited by Bandit

Posted (edited)

If I understand your question correctly I asked the same thing about 8 years ago according to the YouTube video I posted. The flap handle is strictly friction and uses a felt disc for the the bolt to squeeze on. 

https://youtu.be/IS0djiaNJig

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Thanks everybody for your responses. I've had the project a couple of weeks, plus semester finals and I got sick, so I haven't spent much time with the manuals. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time over the break. 

Posted

on my avid, i will add a wood bal and set all flap 0 degree when the ball hits the tube,  starting all rigging from that pos . am i wrong?