Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

fiber tank sealing

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

hi all !

a link that might help everyone who's got issue with tanks and don't want to go with motorbike products:

http://mcr01passion.forumperso.com/t192-reparation-du-pontet-reservoir

it is in french but pics are very helpful to see how we can do to repair with aeronautic product PR1750A2

i will go this way to prevent leaks with my "old but new and clean" fiber tank : my wing is covered so i'll cut a window in root rib tank , seal tank and paste a patch with PR1750A2

Manu

edit: pass the PR with brush is saving lot of weigh in comparison with the motorbike style sealing

Edited by efil 01

Posted

The Avid has 3? Baffles so you may not get right into your tanks through the root rib?

Posted (edited)

Sure would help if we could get an English translation, and maybe a report after the tanks have been used for a while.  Thanks for posting.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

A long article so I'll give you the short version: It is a pain in the butt, close to 40 hours of unpleasant work and if it was to do again he would buy a new tank. Understanding it will not last forever.

Posted (edited)

I have been using PR1750 sealant on B-737 integral fuel tanks and this stuff is very tacky/sticky when applied. The major downside is the toxicity of the stuff. It is horrible to use. You absolutely have to avoid getting it on your skin or breathing in the strong fumes (which is hard to do). When I had to use this sealant I had a breathing apparatus (pressurized mask with fresh air supply) and even then I could smell the PR 1750......

Also when you use the PR sealant for structural repair or construction it is IMPOSSIBLE to unglue....this is a crazy strong adhesive. 

My 2cents

P.s there is a lot of write up in french in the post and I don't have time to translate it all (yes I am fluent in french) but the guy using the PR1750 sealant says that in the end he would have rather tried / used RESTOM product ( https://restom.net/traitements-reservoir/157-restomkit-poly-1224489129.html?search_query=reservoir+fibre+&results=1 ) instead because of the high toxicity of the PR1750 even though he used gloves and mask...

Edited by flywise
1 person likes this

Posted

wing tank have baffles or only false ribs with big hole ? i don't have plane home to verify.. i phoned to restom and product can be pass with brush 

thanks for your input flywise 

Posted

Posted

how did you manage with the internal baffles?