Recoating the 582 Exhaust

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Its time to repaint/ recoat the exhaust. My exhaust has less than 60 hrs on it but it sat for years in the California coastal air. It looks to be ceramic coated. Rust is bleeding through the coating. It looks like hell. I took it all apart today. I’m looking for opinions on best practices for recoating. The auto parts stores sell a VHT (Very High Temp) ceramic coating in a spray can. Watched an online video where a guy put it on his Harley. It looks good. 

Thought or suggestions?

Thanks

1BE3BB4A-22D9-42FE-BB26-B8060341AF1C.jpeg

Posted

Not sure how long the spray on stuff lasts.  I know it smells like shit when you first fire it up and get the muff hot :lol: 

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

image.jpg

Posted (edited)

Old mufflers scare me - I don't like exhaust heaters - Went to hospital once for CO poisoning - Don't ever want it again!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Most powder coaters can ceramic coat parts.  I believe this is what you have there already.  "Real" ceramic coating is far better than the spray can crap.

Like Leni says, I'd avoid the rattle can stuff...

2 people like this

Posted

Old mufflers scare me - I don't like exhaust heaters - Went to hospital once for CO poisoning - Don't ever want it again!  EDMO

That's why you have the monitor in the cockpit.  Saved my ass once on my Avid.  I was on a flight back from the lodge and started feeling goofy.  Of course, it was -30 OAT and I had the heater pulled on.  Took me a few to figure it out when I caught out of the corner of eye that the lil dot on the monitor was blacker than the ace of spades.  I opened the door and flew the rest of the way home ~75 miles or so IIRC.  Turns out I had 2 broken exhaust springs and the safety wire was all that was holding the exhaust together at the joint.  The heat muff had nothing to do with it.  I sure did get goofy in a hurry though.  Now the monitor is not on the wing root, its right in front of me on the panel.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I love the hot-water heaters - No CO in it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Yep.  Now that my firewall is sealed better, that helps, too. 

1 person likes this

Posted

What hot water heater unit are you using? Homemade?, Neat Heater? I want to install one but will probably wait until next winter.

The neat heater on Aircraft Spruce is $434.00. Nice clean looking unit. The accessory kit is another $243 which seems a bit expensive for what comes in the kit. 

Posted

Made my own with an earls cooler and two 12v computer fans. 

Posted (edited)

I've got one that came in a Kitfox - Cant exactly say how large heater core is, but guessing 8 or 10" square with about a 5 or 6" plastic fan tied to it - Don't know how much to charge for it if someone wants it they can make offer.   I could take a photo when weather is better.   

I have posted some photos of my Danhard underdash Jeep heater - it weighs 13 lb and is supposed to run you out of a ragtop jeep with dual fans and also defroster ducts.  I was putting it under the IP but think it would balance the plane better under or behind the seat.   Donno how, but I think I now have 3 of them new in boxes - $200 each plus shipping.   I think they are $400 to $500 now?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The small one you have, Ed is one of usually a pair.  The small ones like that aren’t enough to heat the cabin by itself. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The small one you have, Ed is one of usually a pair.  The small ones like that aren’t enough to heat the cabin by itself. 

I looks just like the one I saw pictures of mounted in the center on either an Avid or Kitfox.  That's where it was when I removed it.  Not part of a pair.  It might be a little larger than what I remember?

Plane came from up North.  Probably original heater?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

My thoughts on heaters.  especially water ones.  When you want the heat the most is when the engine will be wanting to make the least extra of it trying to keep it's self warm.  I wander if maybe a coil of tubing wrapped around the muffler with a liquid in it that wouldn't burn or freeze that could be circulated through a radiator/oil cooler  with a fan behind it would be the best of both worlds.  Very hot temp from a muffler with lots of heat going through it what ever the outside temps, and no chance of CO2 from a leaking muffler coming through a muffler shroud.  Of course then the next question is:  how much extra will that weigh.  Any comments?   JImChuk

Posted

Sounds reasonable. It could get heavy by the time you added enough tubing to get the liquid volume you would need then adding the radiator, pump and fan.

It seems the engines cooling system has two things that make it the better choice. A pump to circulate the water and a thermostat to meter the temps. I really dont have any first hand knowledge on this as I’ve never flown one of these in the winter. 

Posted (edited)

I don't have a clue as to how hot the muffler gets, but know it will burn you - In addition to that, I believe you are supposed to get your 2-smoke up to about 140 degrees water temp before taking off - seems like all that would be enough to stop the shivers before takeoff?  Your engine water pump is supplying the power to move the water, so none extra needed.  Aluminum tubing around muffler shouldn't weigh a lot either, but would it need to be copper?  I might be more worried about burning out the thin muffler sides - Would wrapping the thicker walled, and hotter, exhaust pipe be better?

My car gets warm by the time I get to the first stop light, quicker if I let it idle for 5 minutes - but, guess 4-strokers are different....?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Mine worked great.  I added controllable shutters as well to the radiator to keep the temps up in winter.  Meany ATV heater options out there as well on Amazon.  Tried the exhaust wrap thing on a HKS once.  Didn't work too bad wile under full power, but things got cold quick when at partial power and on decent.   Liquid heating works great, especially when you can block the radiator a bit.  Having cockpit control was a nice option.

1 person likes this

Posted

If you are running a heat muff and not getting any heat out of it while descending remember the little trick of pulling the nose up.  You can keep on lots of power to keep the heat going and still fall out of the sky if you bring the nose up and slow the plane down.  Lil trick I learned when flying around up here at -30.

Option 1 is to just fly low enough that you never have to descend more than a couple hundred feet.  :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I have had really good luck with this stuff. Trick is spray on a few light coats let dry for a few hrs then take a small propane torch and run the flame over every inch and watch the paint bake on. Works way better than grill paint. I asked the local powder coater he said powder coat melts at 400 degrees so every time I start the engine the paint would melt and run off. It really never bothered me taking the exhaust off to paint it because it gives me a reason to check the joints and re antisieze  them.

http://www.plastikote.com/products/Specialty/Hi-Temp-Paint.html

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you TJay. I’ve been looking at several options but the VHT paint seems the best way for me to go. We have a homemade powder coating oven at our EAA hanger. Inwas thinking of using that to cure the coats of paint.  

Posted

I was talking to my friend the powder coated about the ceramic coating.  I didn't know this, but it is just as effective as heat tape for insulating exhaust pipes.  So--  If you have ceramic coating on the muffler, you won't get very good heat off it for a heater muff.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I was talking to my friend the powder coated about the ceramic coating.  I didn't know this, but it is just as effective as heat tape for insulating exhaust pipes.  So--  If you have ceramic coating on the muffler, you won't get very good heat off it for a heater muff.

Very true - According to what I have read about the ceramic coatings - Donno how it would affect the 2-stroke exhausts any differently than the 4-strokes, but the written articles say that it interferes with the exhaust pipes function to dissipate heat from the engine and could even cause exhaust valve burning.   Sometimes good intentions have bad results!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I sent a earthstar gull 2000 muffler (pusher 503 engine) to Jet Hot Coatings in Oklahoma CIty, OK. They ceramic coat the muffler, header pipe and the small 90 degree joint that goes between the two. They told me after the coat it, the put the parts in a tumbler and that is what give it that shiny chrome look. It took several weeks to have to done.

The coating is only good to 1200 degrees but I think that must be OK because I have never seen it burn off. 

VHT or other high heat paint will work, but it eventually flakes off because you cant put a primer on it but it will work...

Posted

I took my stuff to the local sandblaster / powder coater and they said they have a product that would hold up to 1200 degrees. The flame beyond the Egt probe get hotter than 1200. Not by much but hotter. I figured I would have them do the main muffler and lower mounts in their product and I would paint the manifold and 90 degree joint with the VHT product. 

Posted

What about chrome plating the Y pipe and short connector pipe??